Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

consumer court

(Querist) 03 November 2008 This query is : Resolved 
sir tell me limitation period for filing a suit for redressment of the ground
tell me extentive knowledge of this subject-matter
Guest (Expert) 03 November 2008
There is no limitaion as such for the filing a complaint. The complaint should be within a reasonable time when the Defeciency of service or goods is noticed, when you are aggrieved by that.
Manish Singh (Expert) 03 November 2008

Under the Consumer Protection Act, the limitation period is two years (Sec 24 A), but there is a proviso for condonation of delay provided you can satisfy the forum that the delay was bona fide and genuine, and not on account of callousness or ignorance on your part. The claim should also not be barred under the general law of limitation. Whether or not to condone delay is the discretion of the forum. But in certain cases, even the forum does not enjoy any such discretionary power.
Srinivas.B.S.S.T (Expert) 05 November 2008
Manish Sir is right. The limitation period for filing a consumer complaint is 2 years from the date when the cause of action arose but even after that you can file a complaint but you have to stisfy that the dealy is genuine
Manish Singh (Expert) 05 November 2008
Dear Sri,
firstly we shall like to welcome you back. we were really missing you.
and one more thing, please dont call me sir. we are friends indeed.
G. ARAVINTHAN (Expert) 05 November 2008
Both my friends were correct. Mr.Manish, thanks for saying me a term that a genuine reason can satisfy the court for the delay
A. A. JOSE (Expert) 06 November 2008
I agree with the view that 2 years is the limitation stipulated in the CP Act with a provision empowering the Consumer courts with the discretion to condone delay exceeding the said two year period if sufficient reasons are shown.
Adv.Shine Thomas (Expert) 10 November 2008
Yes,I agree with the above opinion.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query