LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Capital gain tax

(Querist) 29 March 2024 This query is : Resolved 
When I purchase the land it was urban agriculture land but 2-3 months before my selling of this land it become non agriculture land. So can i take exemption of capital gain tax reinvesting the money to another agriculture land?
Isaac Gabriel (Expert) 29 March 2024
Yes.nevrhtless get it clarified with Tax professional.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 29 March 2024
Agricultural land situated in a rural area is not classified as a capital asset, hence the profit from its sale is exempt from income tax. In contrast, gains from the sale of urban agricultural land fall under the category of 'capital gains' and are subject to income tax.
Urban agricultural land qualifies as a capital asset; hence capital gains shall arise on the sale or transfer of urban agricultural land.
Therefore you cannot claim any relief or exemption from paying capital gains tax in this situation

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now