25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Can we resort to our old aadhaar instead of updated one.

(Querist) 02 June 2022 This query is : Resolved 
Dear Sir, My wife has updated her name on aadhaar back to her name before marriage.This was on account of our differences wherein she left matrimonial home went to her parents,lodger FIR u/s 498A/406. Few months later she withdrew her FIR before filing of chargesheet and since then has been living with me harmoniously. now she wants to continue with her aadhaar after marriage as she has both aadhaar with same number and biometrics but with different surnames. she cannot further update it as name change lomit of 2 times is exhausted. Can she use her old aadhaar with after marriage surname ? Is it legally valid?

Adv K Rajasekharan (Expert) 02 June 2022
Aadhar, as per its original intention, is just a unique number but in practice it is being used as an identity record everywhere with, almost no much protection of the data on their data base.

Therefore, there is no problem in using your earlier or later Aadhar Card, if she has access to both of the addresses.

In fact, even the authorities of Aadhar are more ambivalent or confused as to its legal status as of now. That is why they issued a direction on the use an unmasked card last week and its immediate retraction on finding that it had gone against their stand till then.

Annu (Querist) 03 June 2022
UIDAI has put limit on name change of two times.But there is no clarity with regard to resorting to previous name on aadhaar instead of updated one.
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 16 June 2022
No instructions from UIDAI. Let us wait and see.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query