LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VIJAY KUMAR (SELF EMPLOYED)     30 December 2015

In the larger interest of public

Dear respectable members,if a health insurance policy was a wrong insurance policy which was sold by intermediary(bank) of the insurance company to cover mortgage loan declared by insurance ombudsman in 2010. Even after that if the same health insurance policy was sold by bank to loan customers is a matter of criminal case or not? or it is only unfair trade practice even after that award. I have records of Ombudsman award given in 2010, policy sold later award in 2010 & 2014.

One more thing I would like to know can a health policy be assigned in favour of financial institution without issueing insurance policy if issued in 2010? As per my knowledge health insurance policy is not allowed to assign. I am raising matter in larger interest of public.

Learning

3 Replies

VIJAY KUMAR (SELF EMPLOYED)     30 December 2015

From 2010 to 2014, how many such health insurance policy were sold by a bank all over the country, you people can better understand.

siddhartha sinha   31 December 2015

Health insurance bundling with mortgage loan makes no sense except that bank was exploiting the customers. Life insurance is still reasonable. You can file RTI to IRDA and with the reply you receive ask for an explanation from concerned branch as to why you were misled. If satisfied with the reply them fine else notify the bank of not willing to continue the premiums next year onwards and if bank still force you complain to ombudsman. Assignment of health insurance of ANY type is prohibited.

VIJAY KUMAR (SELF EMPLOYED)     31 December 2015

@Siddhartha sinha.......thanks for your reply, I,myself, am already handling case in consumer court at the stage of opposition eveidence submission. Main applicant of loan has died & burden of loan on the shoulders of dependents. The premium which was taken was enough to secure whole loan amount through TERM INSURANCE POLICY( as mentioned in ombudsman,mumbai order) but through health policy only 20% of loan was covered & 80% loan left unsecured, moreover the same policy was sold after ombudsman, mumbai order..(enclosing here).

In medical negligence cases, negligence happens in treatment of patient but without having any vested interest but in this case bank & its group insurance company sold such policy with vested interest.

Attached File : 20151231112851 498656494 mumbai ombudsman.docx downloaded: 135 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register