Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vivek Kanabar   23 May 2022

Consideration of trainee period within overall service period of 5 years for gratuity consideration

I have joined the organisation on 09.02.2017 as trainer officer. During training period I was receiving stipend after deduction of professional tax. After completion of trainee period of one years, I was under for probation for six months, in which I was receiving salary after deduction of professional tax and provident fund. After six months of probation I got confirmation.

Now as I have completed overall period of 5 years, Whether period of one year would be considered for eligibility of 5 years of Gratuity.

Any case laws or judgement for supporting proof

Learning

1 Replies

Anila Sabu   28 June 2022

Dear Querist,

An employee only qualifies for a gratuity under Section 4(1) of the Payment of Gratuity Act of 1972 after five years of continuous employment with the same employer.

According to a court-ordered ruling on gratuities, an employee is only eligible to receive one if they have worked for 4 years and 240 days.

In your situation, you have technically not completed this duration, as the training duration does not get taken into account for determining your gratuity.

CASE LAW: Chairman-Cum-Managing vs Regional Labour Commissioner on 26 May, 2005

CITATION: 2005 (2) ESC 1547

HELD:  Since they were not employees of the Corporation their period of training cannot be counted towards service under The Payment of Gratuity Act

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register