Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anand (engineer)     08 December 2009

vacate the rented house

 Hi All

I have been living in a rented house for around 6 years. My house owner is asking to vacate the house for long time and I have not done it.
For the past three months I have not given any rent stating that I will vacate the house as soon as possible.
I was giving the rent very late for every month that is I will give it after 20th for the past 3 years. Also I have used the house for running local PCO shop (though I have not taken any permission from the owner and there is no such kind of agreement between me and owner). 
There is no receipt kind of thing that I receive from my owner for giving the rent. So in the court they will only consider the receipt issued by the owner for the rent I gave or they consider based on the owner's words. 
Last week, my house owner cut the power supply to the house and taken the motor set for the bore in the house. 
Need clarificiation on the below points:
1. Can I go to the local police station and file a case against the owner. Is it applicable? - Because I am worried since I have not given the rent for three months and this kind of issues are considered as Civil, the local police will not interfere in this. 
2. Or I have to file a legal case via the court. 
3. If I start giving the rent regularly from this month then is there any chance that is legally benefit for me or House Owner can cite this malicious behavior of me and get the relief. 
Please help.


 4 Replies

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     08 December 2009

Mr. everything you are admitting and even then seeking relief on equity. How is it possible??????


You pay entire rent in time, follow the rule of agreement and do not use property for commercial use as you are illegally doing so expect any relief through court as police has nothing to do with the relations of tenant and landlord.

1 Like

Palaniappan (dddd)     17 March 2010

I am worried to let out my house after reading your message, Anand

1 Like

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     14 July 2010

Police complaint will do nothing as you not paying rent regularly. If you paying too there will be a problem


I am wondering that why your landlord has not yet filed eviction proceedings

1 Like

Advocate. Arunagiri (Advocate High Court Madras.)     03 February 2011

You take the steps for remitting the rent and for restoring the facilities through the court. The court will pass orders if you deposit the rent arrears.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads