Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Savdeep (designer)     21 January 2011

Urgent : Registering marraige in India required?

Hello Everyone!

Please help me with critical info,

My brother got married in USA, in 2008 they have Registered their marriage in the US. The marriage was  conducted in Christian customs. When the couple got holiday they returned back to India and re-married later in 2010 in Gujarat according to Hindu( Maharashtrian) customs.They have not registered their Indian marriage yet here in India, since they already registered their marriage in the US (2008).

We are Maharashtrians, settled in Maharashtra, but my brother was working for few years in the US in 2008. The girl originally is from Kerala, family settled in Gujarat.

Both the wedding took place in different country with different customs, on different dates and year.

1. We are wondering if he should get his Indian wedding registered here in India since they have moved now from US to INDIA?

2. Would it be a problem having 2 marriage certificates with different dates/ year on it?

3. Please let me know if he should take care of anything else since now they moved to India for good.

4. How to proceed further in his case?

Please help,

Look forward to hear from you

Thanks

Savdeep

Learning

4 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     21 January 2011

Why don't you try for the registration in India on the basis of the registration certificate issued in USA. If Registrar didn't agree then you can register Indian marriage date. To marriage certificates do not create problems. What is the necessity of registration of marriage took place in India.

Shreyas Zinjarde (Advocate/Consultant)     22 January 2011

Savdeep,

For registration of marriages now one is not required to go to the registrar but the same can be registered at the Ward Office of he Corporations. Your case is a marriage registered at a foreign country. Subsequent marriage is always for the satisfaction of the family member. If this subsequent date is furnished, it would be deliberately concealing material facts. Avoid it. I feel tha there is no need of geting the marriage registered at India

Shreyas Zinjarde Adv.

+919822579522

Savdeep (designer)     22 January 2011

Thank you for your reply Mr Rajeev and Shreyas. 

I personally don't know if its important to register the foreign wedding of Indian couple in India. I don't know if Indian govt. or Private organizations like bank, visa offices or any other such institutions recognizes such wedding that took place out side India and registered outside India ( USA).

We are confused since now my brother and his newly wed bride has decided to stay here in India for good, therefore for opening a bank account or ration card, election card or Pan card may require to submit marriage certificate. Wondering USA marriage certificate would be recognized that was done in Christian customs rather Hindu.

If Indian constitutions or Govt. Organization recognizes USA marriage certificate in India then still somewhere we are worried if in future not having his wedding registered in India would cause some unpridicted problems. So thinking of getting his wedding registed in India too.

Further we are not clear if it would it be a problem if my brother registers his wedding in India based on his Indian wedding date?

Therefore, critical to know what to do - should we get his wedding re- registered in India or not? The Indian wedding was done in proper way - like invitation cards where printed, photos and videos where produced.

Please reply,
Look forward to hear from you
Thank you
Savdeep

Savdeep (designer)     23 January 2011

Please help me, please answer my questions.

I look forward to hear from you

Thanks, Savdeep

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register