Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Siddhartha Bose (Architect)     11 January 2024

Tenant & landlord responsibility laws

Hi Team,

I have a weird situation and need what's under law. I will try to be short. I live in Australia and I have recently shifted my old parents from our house (3rd floor) to a rented place in so called posh area called "Bank Enclave"  ground floor. Now I shifted in mid March 2023 with a security of 2 months rent. Now my parents came with me in May and stayed with me in Australia till Aug. In July electricity bill of 10,000 was sent by landlord which shocked me and then since 20th July I have been trying to resolve this issue which was primarily faulty meter which was replaced in Nov 2023. Now bses has generated a provisional bill based on consumption of 2022 which was prev tenant and they had a huge consumption as compared to my parents. So now the bill generated is 45,000 from June to Dec which is wrong on bses part. But what rights do I have as a tenant if I deny paying this bill as it's not mine. And lawfully who is responsible to get the meter replaced and sort this billing issue in first place?

Thanks in advance

Sid

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 January 2024

The user has to first pay the bill to avoid disconnection. 

After that they can represent to the authorities with documentary evidences to return the excess amount,  failing which they can approach court of law to get their grievances redressed. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register