Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V K (owner)     02 February 2016

Tax filing for farmer

hello,

I am a city educated person but am now into farming full time on my ancestral land. I am now in my 30s and have never worked in any other sector ever and consequently have never filed tax returns although I have pan number.

When I was 19 my mother took out 2 insurance policies in my name which became due this year giving me about 3 lakhs. Now my insurance agent informs me this income isnt taxable. Is that true?

I plan to spend some part of it on home improvement and want to invest atleast 1.5 lakhs in equity, mutual funds by way of either one time or through S.I.P. Is it permissible for a farmer earning income only from agriculture to invest in mutual funds and what are the tax implications for him?

I think agricultural income is tax free? I dont earn more than 30k from the agricultural produce annually. Please note I have no other source of income. Any income I might earn from interest on mutual funds will be non agricultural and taxed?

Which form must I fill to file my returns now based on my annual income of 30k?

Learning

3 Replies

R K JAIN (Advocate)     03 February 2016

If your income exceeds the taxable limit then you have to file the return compulosry otherwise it is optional.

Ritika Pundir (Chartered Accountant)     03 March 2016

Yes, insurance received would be tax Free u/s 10(10D) of the income tax act. There's no problem investing in mutual funds so long as the source of investment is clear. Interest income will be taxable. Agricultural income is tax free. ITR 1 would be applicable in your case, although no tax will arise so long as the interest income is below 2.5 lacs.

Ritika Pundir (Chartered Accountant)     03 March 2016

Yes, insurance received would be tax Free u/s 10(10D) of the income tax act. There's no problem investing in mutual funds so long as the source of investment is clear. Interest income will be taxable. Agricultural income is tax free. ITR 1 would be applicable in your case, although no tax will arise so long as the interest income is below 2.5 lacs.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register