Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ranjan (s)     06 July 2011

Regarding maintenance of male child born of live in relation

Hi,

My friend who was in live in relation for 4 months before with a boy hasa young baby with him of 18 month. She wants maintenance for her baby and also the father of that baby is willing to give the maintenance to baby but through court only. Pls. suggest the best possible way to give the maintenance through compromise. Iscompromise deed done in registrar office is sufficient or girl should approach the court through crpc 125. Both have reached on agreement on terms and condition and on money to be given. But they want it pucca.....

pls. suggest the remedy to earliest.

Learning

9 Replies

legal eagle (lawyer)     06 July 2011

how long was the relationship? 

legal eagle (lawyer)     06 July 2011

The Supreme Court held that a child born out of a live-in relationship is not entitled to claim inheritance in Hindu ancestral coparcenary property (in the undivided joint Hindu family) and can only claim a share in the parents’ self-acquired property.

The Bench set aside a Madras High Court judgment, which held that children born out of live-in relationships were entitled to a share in ancestral property as there was a presumption of marriage in view of the long relationship.

Reiterating an earlier ruling, a Vacation Bench of Justices B.S. Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar said, “In view of the legal fiction contained in Section 16 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 (legitimacy of children of void and voidable marriages), the illegitimate children, for all practical purposes, including succession to the properties of their parents, have to be treated as legitimate. They cannot, however, succeed to the properties of any other relation on the basis of this rule, which in its operation, is limited to the properties of the parents.”

The Apex Court also stated that while the marriage exists, a spouse cannot claim the live-in-relationship with some other person and seek inheritance for the children from the property of that other person.  The relationship with some other person, while the husband is living is not “live-in-relationship” but “adultery”. The illegitimate children have got inheritance rights from the property of the husband and not that from the other person. It is further clarified that “live in relationship” is permissible in unmarried heteros*xuals (in case, one of the said persons is married, the man may be guilty of adultery and it would amount to an offence under Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code).

Geeta Luthra, Senior Counsel, speaking to Bar & Bench said that the judgment is interpreting the fiction of Section 16 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, in relation to the declaration of children born out of a void/voidable marriage and a child being deemed legitimate for the purposes of inheritance due to the fiction created. She further said that for the first time, recognition was given under the Domestic Violence Act, 2005 to entitle women with some sort of protection with regard to live in relationships. Secondly, in the case of  Actress Khushboo, the 3 Judge Bench, headed by Juctice Balakrishnan shed light on pre-marital s*x and live-in relationship for the first time in India. The relevance of pre-marital s*x and Khushboo’s comments, connect her with criminal cases filed against her. The present judgment does not deal with the concept of live-in relationship per se. It says that a child can only make a claim on the person's self acquired property, in case the child is illegitimate. It can also be interpreted in a way in which a child could lay a claim on the share of a parent's ancestral property as they can ask for that parents share in such property, as Section 16 permits a share in the parents property. Hence it could be argued that the person is not only entitled to self acquired property but also a share in the ancestral property.

Suruchi Suri Grewal, a lawyer, notes that this is yet another instance where the judiciary has accepted the existence of live-in relationships in contemporary society and clarified the rights of those involved and persons likely to be affected by such a relationship. This ruling of the highest court of the land is welcome as there will be no room for doubt vis-a’-vis inheritance rights of children born out of live-in relationships.

Sanjay Agnihotri, an Advocate with Suri & Company says that the judgment, though in accordance with law as of today, does not differentiate between children borne out of live-in relationship, where both the partners/parents are single. The judgment talks about a scenario where one of the partners in a live-in relationship is committing adultery. One can understand the ratio of the judgment in such a case.  While the judgment does lend some sort of credence to “live-in” relationships, yet it deprives the children borne out of such a relationship, to what should be their rightful inheritance, which would have come to them but for the formal ceremony of marriage.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     06 July 2011

If the agreement is reduced in writing on the non-judicial stamp paper and get it registered, it is binding upon the parties and the lady can recover the amount as mentioned for the maintenance of the baby.  As long as the gentle man pays the amount it is well and good.  And if he stops to pay at any future time, it can be enforced by the lady by filing recovery suit.  The contents in the agreement being non-violative of any provisions in the Constitution of India or any other statutes, nor section 23 or section 27 of the Indian Contract Act, they can be enforceable.  Alternatively, in  future, at any point of time, he stops to make payment as agreed upon, she can also file case under domestic violence case for enforcing the baby's right of entitlment to maintenance.

priya (student)     06 July 2011

mother can give her money and food from but she cant give a father's name to the baby. what will he face when he goes to a school ,what will he answer when asked who is your father?, usko papa ka pyar mila? , sabhi bacchon jesa normal bachpan mila?

ye dard jab tak aap khud nahi saho uska tinka maatr bhi nahi samajh sakte!

1 Like

Ranjan (s)     11 July 2011

She was in live in relationship for 4 months..

Sandeep Aggarwal (Advocate)     11 July 2011

Ranjan go in court and file 125 cr.p.c and if both ready then give any date of your marriage and don't shoe  live in relations.

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     24 July 2011

She can file a complaint under DV Act while demanding maintenance for herself and her child born out of that relationship because as per the recent judgement of the Hon'ble SC a woman who is in live in relationship can file a complaint of DV Act.Even she can file 125 cr.p.c. as well.

Ms Liberal (others)     25 July 2011

@ Priya. I appreciate your sentiments

but here she has to file the case for mainatanace and if marriage is possible then they should go ahead as both are some how responsible for the unanticipatory mistake

father too must be emotional towards the child let they should decide

gaury..fight to win (Education)     29 September 2011

@priya

i see my future son in you.That's why I am at my husband's SHRAED HOUSEHOLD so that my sons get their father 24 hours.otherwise my life is a hell here.I am dying each and every day when I see my husband going for date with his keep or talking with her in front of me!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register