LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

javed khan   02 June 2018

Psychological and mental harassment at workplace

I am writing this in great pain as I am still feeling numbness and uneasiness in body.

I used to work in an off-shore (US based) IT consulting firm in night shift as per US timings till Thursday (31st May). There were managerial changes at the top level around 15-20 days ago and since then, my life became a hell. I'll quickly come on to the main question.

My new boss started targeting me because I tried to complain about him to our bosses in US. He got to know about it. He intentionally served me a 10 days' performance improvement notice on 23rd which was a shocker for me as I have been from among companies best employees. I starting putting in more efforts to improve but on Thursday, 31st May, they (boss and his deputy) crossed all limits.

They indirectly alleged me of routing a business deal from outside company. They checked my personal phone for evidence right on the floor in front of all seniors and juniors. I was literally shivering at that time and didn't know what to do. They asked me to connect my client with them over the phone and I did. I did whatever they asked. I was completely devastated as they intentionally tarnished my image in front of everyone on floor and portrayed me to be involved in fraudulent activities.

They could have asked me to do that all in a separate cabin until it was confirmed that I am a cheat but they didn't. I felt ashamed and disgusted in front of everyone. I felt as if they are ripping me off my dignity and self respect. 

I resigned the next day, 1st June, in the afternoon. In evening at around 6:30pm I got a call from our HR asking me to return the company laptop. I told him I'll do that on Monday and meanwhile he could let me know about my relieving certificate and experience letter. He started spreading rumors (of which I don't have a documented proof) wherein he called a different company and asked them if I was routing business deals through them. Is this acceptable without there being any concrete proof that you are destroying my professional credibility too? I got to know about it from the other company's guy whom my HR called. I did ask that person to send me an email stating that my HR has said/asked all these things to him but he refused to get into it.

I can't explain it in words how horrific, both physically and mentally, I am feeling from last 12 hours.

Is there anything I can do in here? Can an employer destroy an employees professional credibility at will if he/she resigns? What can I do in here? Please do suggest. Today it was me, tomorrow it could be your kids, siblings or anyone. I would really appreciate your kind responses.

Learning

2 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     02 June 2018

You seem to be assuming too many things.

1. The employer has got every right to check/verify the trustworthiness/integrity of the employee by whatever means that is known to it.  (Even Govt. does police verification etc.)  That is nothing wrong about it.  You need not be oversensitive about it.  In any case, you can do nothing about it.

2. Similarly, if you have not done anything wrong (i.e. not routed any business outside) then why do you feel humiliated if you are being checked in public in front of others?  After all, you will only emerge with clean chit and that will only go to enhance your credibility!  Rather it will put the managers in very bad and poor light!!

So stop this self pity, over sensitiveness etc. etc.  There is no legal remedy for all this self-inflicted worries.

Shyra Sodhi   02 January 2020

Sir, No body can mentally harass any employee. Workplace harassment is a serious offence .I totally agree on a point that if someone wants to talk about something , there should be one o one session rather than shouting im front of everyone .It actually hurts dignity , self respect and self interest in Job.Sir Being HR i would suggest u to please escalate this issue to your Human resource manager.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register