I have filed a dowry case against my Husband and parents-in-laws and sister-in-law about 6 months back. Police had previously sent the case back to court saying accused not found but now after it came back a 2nd time, police are saying my in-laws have taken an anticipatory bail and therefore cannot be arrested. They are saying they can do nothing except file some chargesheet and send the case back. My lawyer says the chargesheet will be the basis for the case and has to be thourough. I am confused and lost, can anyone please clarify the below:
1. Is not dowry a non-bailable offence? Can my parents-in-law have really taken a bail and is there no way for me to have them arrested?
2. My in-laws have multiple entry visas to various countries and have mostly been in hiding. Can I have their passports siezed? I do not have their passport numbers, only have their name and address.
3. What is the procedure to get the passport seized so that they do not run away?
4. What is a chargesheet? How does it affect the case?
5. As I am unaware of the various terms and its consequences and am afraid that the police are fooling me but my lawyer says he will not be able to follow up with the police, whereas some people are telling me that its better if everything is routed through my lawyer. Generally do lawyers follow up with the police on these cases and should I look for an alternate lawyer or is my layer right in saying he cannot help me with the police?
6. My sis-in-law lives abroad, so is there nothing we can do to have her arrested?
Thanks in advance.