LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Joy Bose   22 March 2020

Petty theft by minor

A minor stole some grocery items from a general store and he got caught. What kind of action will be taken against him?


 3 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     23 March 2020

Better take him to Juvenile Court, or ask the store owner to forgive him for taking corrcetional steps for the boy's future.

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 March 2020

The JJ Act 2015 inserted a new scheme which divided crimes into three categories: Petty, Serious and Heinous. Petty Offences : Crimes for which maximum punishment is imprisonment up to 3 years. These include crimes such as assault, causing simple hurt, theft, forgery etc.

Juvenile petit theft of the first degree occurs when a minor under 18 steals property that is valued as being more than $100 but less than $300. This offense is charged as a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable by up to one year in jail and/or a fine of $1,000.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 March 2020

Although it is legal to sue minors for injuring you or damaging your property, it's rarely worthwhile, because most are broke and therefore can't pay the judgment. ... Parents may also be liable for damage done by their minor children in auto accidents, if they authorized the child to drive.

the police can arrest children if they believe they have committed a crime. Typically, police stations will have a child welfare protection officer ( Section 107 of JJ Act 20and in each district and city, there will be at least one special juvenile police unit. When the police arrest a child on suspicion of committing a crime, this should normally be done by a Special Juvenile Police Unit. If a regular police officer arrests the child, then the child should immediately be placed under the care of the Juvenile Police Unit, or a designated Child Welfare Police Officer. (Section 10 of JJ Act 2015)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register