Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anjax73 (Analyst)     20 February 2014

Non refund of rental deposit - bangalore

Hi..

I am a tentant in bangalore for for the last 9 years in a house. The owner had painted the house when I moved in 9 years back and our agreement especially under the Painting clause states that "the lessee needs to paint or pay the amount for painting if he/she vacates within a year " . This is the exact statement from the agreement. 

We never renewed the agreement in these 9 years as the agreement doesn't state a lock in period and 5% increase was made every year on rent. So we never really bothered to renew as we had a good cordial relationship for 9 years. 

The kitchen and bathroom celing were getting into bad condition because of wall leakage due to rain. So we had repeatedly informed the owner to do the painting and repairing of the celing but she neber really took things seriously and always get delaying to next year and its been 9 years since she painted the house.

we bought a flat so decided to move out, gave notice 1 month in advance. She inspected the house on the day that we vacated the house too. But when we approached her for the deposit payment of Rs.1.20 lacs. She said she needs to get her contractor to evaluate the house for repairs / damages done.

When approached again she said the celing fault and painting charges would be 40k which she would deduct. She advice is this justice and legally right ? As per the rental act the owner needs to paint every 3 years right so how can one expect the house to remain in same condition for 9 years especially when the house 50 years old.

Can I get the house painted at the lesser price from my end or how do I have any legal action that I can take on this case against the owner

Please let me know how I can get this issue resolved and get my deposit back. 

Thanks

Learning

3 Replies

Udaya Shankar. C (Retired)     21 February 2014

Give complaint at Rent controller office and also to BBMP regarding tenure of the rent and quantum of rent paid by you. Rent controller will fix the rent as per Govt rate and BBMP charges house tax(property tax) at least 3months rent in a year.

In the absence of a renewed rental agreement this is the only way to threaten them to come to your terms.

Don't worry. purusue the case seriously with Rent controller and BBMP. I am also victim of such incident during my service in Bangalore. I brought the land lord to my feet.

anjax73 (Analyst)     21 February 2014

Thank you for your response. Will follow your advice

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 February 2014

You will be losing more money, time and energy by initiating more and more legal course of action, instead, look for ways for settling things amicably or through a lawyer's notice demanding the deposit back.  You can settle the issue for a lesser amount too than the one stated by the house owner.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register