LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harsh (BM)     09 September 2010

Missing property papers

Hi,.....My father passed away a few months ago. He owned some agricultural land in his name inherited from my grandfather. The property was being cultivated by my uncle(father's brother) for all these years. However, all the property papers are also with my uncle and now he refuses to hand over. I have no clear idea about the exact area of the land and exact location. 

How can I obtain a copy of the papers? Also, will it be important to point out where the land is located and how much is ours?

Is it possible for my uncle to get the land transferred in his name without our knowledge? Can he claim ownership of the property as an ancestral property even if it was registered in my father's name? How do I get the land registered in the name of my mother?

Please reply its urgent.

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)

Even if U know where that property is,it is not an easy job to get the certified copies of this property,but,yet if u know the location of that property,try to get where it was registered and then try to get its certified copies.

U would have to shell some extra money for doing all this.Touts are present everywhere.

Ur uncle can not sell a property,if it is not in his name,without doing forgery.

Run---to know the location and time of its registration in Ur father's name.

Feedback Plz.

Harsh (BM)     09 September 2010

What about Khatauni? I believe it has details of ownership of land in the village? will that be helpful if I am able to obtain a copy of that from patwari? 

Sri Vijayan.A (Legal Consultant)     09 September 2010

Hi,.....My father passed away a few months ago. He owned some agricultural land in his name inherited from my grandfather.

If ur father inherited the same from his father means, the title deeds might not be in your father's name. Might be in his father's name.

The property was being cultivated by my uncle(father's brother) for all these years. However, all the property papers are also with my uncle and now he refuses to hand over. I have no clear idea about the exact area of the land and exact location.

No problem, if ur dad and the said uncle are the only heirs of ur grand pa, both of them shall be entitled to 1/2 share of the land. you have inherited ur dad's share.

Regarding the descripttion of property, being the agricultural, you can get the details from Taluk office concerned  or from village munsiff as the case may be.

How can I obtain a copy of the papers? Also, will it be important to point out where the land is. located and how much is ours?

If you know the details about property viz., survey no., extent, etc you can apply for certified copy for the registrar office concerned. you may have intimate ur grandpa's name as the previous owner.

Is it possible for my uncle to get the land transferred in his name without our knowledge? Can he claim ownership of the property as an ancestral property even if it was registered in my father's name?

Ur uncle can not sell on his own. he has to prove to the buyer, in the recital of the sale deed, how he acquired the property. He has to about ur grand pa, his death and about ur father. So it is not so easy OR in fact it is not possible for him to sell  

How do I get the land registered in the name of my mother? Not Necessary

R.Ranganathan (Advocate)     09 September 2010

Mr. Vijayan A. has explained everything in detail answering your query. I agree with the same.

sanjay mundada (legal advisor)     10 September 2010

u tell at which town the land is located.?

u will get about all documents. i wii guid you .

Harsh (BM)     28 September 2010

Hi,

The land is located in Jalaon District in UP. 

Please tell me if I want to move an RTI application to seek the information, 

How will I find out the infofmation officer to whom the RTI application is to be made?

Also, please tell me what are the specific terms to be used for the following purposes(so that my application is specific and there is no ambiguity).

The area of land in the name of my uncle, father and grandfather in that district?

The history of transactions done by all 3 of them(to find out if any piece of land was sold, if yes, how much)? Also, if any new piece of land has been purchased by my father and uncle on their own.

Please reply urgently.....

Harsh (BM)     28 September 2010

thanks for your replies so far.

Another question I have is....

What is the document containing information about current land owner's name called?

Also, How can I find out the history of transactions done by my father and uncle? As i suspect some portion of the land may have been sold?

Thanks....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register