LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nirav shah (manager)     02 November 2013

Gift money to parents


I want to Gift money (Rs. 5 Lac) to my father 65 years age so that he can put that amount in FD and earn interest for living of my parents. Do i need to register the gift deed? What will be registration charge (if any) and stamp duty for gift deed? any other charge?



 5 Replies

BAALASUBRAMANNYAMM (Advocate)     02 November 2013

If you want to implement your aim, why can't  you invest the same into FD account either in  your favour or in favour of your parents and thereby  transfer the interest accrued on the FD amount, directly to their account. It is a simple way. Or if you want to go for a Gift Deed, the charges are depending upon the state to state. Enquiry with the local registering office, about the charges. 

nirav shah (manager)     02 November 2013

Sorry, i forgot to mention that i am from Gujarat so what are the charges applicable for registration/stamp duty for Gift deed. As far as FD is concern if i make it on my name i will have to bear the income tax & even if i create FD on my father's name but still due to 'clubbing of income under income tax rule' that interest income would be counted on me.

Gopal Arora (Engineer)     02 November 2013


Just transfer money into your father's account by cheque/cash. Nothing else to do. 

Being a son, you can give gift any amount to your parents. No questions asked, if it is white money. No need of any gift deed etc.

In fact, CAs advise the children to create FDs in the name of aged parents, so that they save on tax due on interest earned on FDs.

modi kamal (business)     03 November 2013

As per law,you have to execute a Gift Deed on 200 Rs. Stamp Paper.I has to signed by you,your father & 2 witnesses.Deed matter available on net..You can Google it.there is no need to register the deed.I know because I have done the same thing after taking advice from CA.

Harendra Kumar (A Practicing Lawyer)     19 November 2013

Dear Sir,

In my view I agree-with Mr. Modi Kamal.

Thanking you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register