LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chaitanya krishna (Contractor)     20 June 2021

Cheating of hospital during covid treatment

I am a resident of Andhra Pradesh.I am married and live with my wife and daughter.My daughter is 20 years of age.During the second wave of covid,both my wife and daughter got infected.I was looking after both of them.My daughter recovered in five days but my wife's condition worsened after a week.She was advised hospitalisation by our family doctor. I searched for an oxygen bed frantically and took my wife as her oxygen levels dropped to below 90.I contacted the hospital authorities, who asked me to come. As i had insurance policy, i took my health card along with me. The hospital was a network hospital of the health insurance company and a covid hospital too with cashless facility.

But they refused admission on the basis of health insurance and insisted on cash payment only. They denied online transaction too. With no time to lose, i had to admit her by paying money. The hospital authorities didn't give any sort of bills for hospitalisation, investigations, or medicines. They didn't even give me the reports. I contacted the insurance company which informed me to show my health card there before admission and also during the course of treatment. But, the hospitals authorities refused to co-operate. We were handed over a bill of 3 lacs, which they forced us to pay by cash only and no bills were given. Only after payment,they handed over discharge summary.They sent four messages equating to Rs. 55,000/- to my mobile phone. I took a picture of all the reports, the room in which my wife was being treated, screenshots of my calls made during the course of treatment to the insurance company and gave a complaint to the insurance company and police. The actual cost of treatment for non critical patients is Rs 6000/- per day including oxygen, nursing charges, doctor consultation,. But we were charged 27,000/-per day and we had no choice as there was no vacancy anywhere. Going by the rules set by the government, the actual treatment should have costed around one lakh maximum. But, the hospital exploited our situation, being a network hospital and a covid hospital. The police have registered a case under section 420,188, IPC. Is there any way to get the extra money i have paid back. I have snapshots of admission form, investigation, doctors prescripttion, discharge summary in ordinary format (not computerized).Can I go to consumer's court. Just my statement and evidence of amount withdrawn during the hospitalisation period from my bank i have. This is not an isolated issue. Almost all hospitals are fleecing Covid patients by exploiting the helplessness of the patients. Can anyone give me some advice. I have forwarded my complaint to the government authorities,IRDA. upon seeing their news item regarding the same issue. The insurance company has replied and has regretted the inconvenience.They have agreed to help with reimbursement if bills are given. The hospital authorities are willing to give bill for 55,000/-.I did not accept as i paid more. The messages didn't contain any receipt number also.Just the amount paid and name of the patient.Not even what the amount was taken for.There was no link to download the receipt too.No website address was given. Requesting advise of learned advocates. 

Learning

10 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 June 2021

File a complaint to the Ministry of Health both state and central government first and request for an inquiry involving the victim also.   Wait for a month and file a simple complaint before District Consumer Forum under CP Act.  The complaint before the forum is summary in nature  As the Government has prescribed such charges as a mandate, charging or not accepting other modes of payment except amounts to a serious deficiency of service and you can get compensation for harassment also   You do not have to spend more than Rs500/- in all in filing an online complaint before DF if you appear as a party in person..  Certainly, the Hospital has come to terms of compromise  

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     21 June 2021

Give a complaint on that hospital to the govt. authorities COVID hospital flying squads comprising Vigilance and Enforcement, Drug Control Administration and Health department officials registered criminal cases against nine more hospitals in the State  on charges of various violations in treating COVID patients.

P. Venu (Advocate)     21 June 2021

To my knowledge, there is a special cell in the Secretariat looking after such matters and you may try to contact them. Mr. Babu Ahmed IAS is the officer in charge.

Chaitanya krishna (Contractor)     22 June 2021

Thank you for your reply sir.On my complaint, action was taken as there was another complaint along with mine.But,the issue came in the newspaper,next day, albeit with distorted details.However,the hospital name was mentioned along with mine.I got terrified as i never expected this act by the law and order officials.Because, it went public.Do I have to worry about anything? 499?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     22 June 2021

First, stop worrying, you have to pat yourself as you have cautioned other innocent patients from the leeches.  When you have not released any report mentioning the name of the hospital, you need not worry at all.  If you wanted to take up a public cause, be confident and be courageous.  Believe me, it is intoxication.  Face the situation with all courage, and you are never alone.

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 June 2021

Now that the Government, at the highest level,  has taken notice of the matter, let the Law take its course.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 June 2021

You are not the lone sufferer or victim of the circumstance, there are plenty of such victims who were made to languish with such plights by many reputed hospitals across the length and breadth of the country.

The inhuman behavior of the hospital authorities, in an urgency to make quick bucks utilising the helpless situation victimised patients  was very much prevalent everywhere.

Some people take up the fights through government agencies for justice but almost everyone end up in losing their legal battle owing to the influential hospital authorities who manage everyone top to bottom in the government machinery including the police system.

Let you not be discouraged, you may continue the  fight the way you have adopted now 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 June 2021

Too long a story to consider and oblige.

It is better to consult and engage a local prudent lawyer if the facts posted by you are true.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 June 2021

It is not a case of cheating.

It is case of extortion.  FIR is wrong.

Chaitanya krishna (Contractor)     17 February 2023

Sir,

Can anyone advise me as to what is the time duration to file a case before consumer court.I am a victim of fleecing by a covid hospital and i have given a complaint to the authorities.The hospital has been charged with IPC 420, and sections 188, 51B and 53 of the disaster management act.The FIR was lodged in June'21' and the case is under trial. My delay was due to post covid health complications. Can i still file a case?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register