Charge sheet

A person has been charged under Section 420; 504 and 506 in Mumbai.  He has been served copy of the FIR and

Charge Sheet which are in Marathi.  The accused is from Hindi speaking area, i.e., North India and does not know Marathi. 

He is therefore unable to understand what is written in FIR and Charge Sheet.  Under the circumstances, is he within his rights

too demand and ask for a Hindi translated copy of the FIR and Charge Sheet.  What are the procedures for it.



As per my knowledge there is not right to claim the translation of the statement recorded by police. However, you can get the FIR and other documents translated from local advocate for your personal use. In court proceedings you may demand to record the hearing in english language. 



Court can always direct the documents to be interpreted. See Section 162 of the IEA.



Section 162 of the Indian Evidence Act says:

Translation of documents.—If for such a purpose it is necessary to cause any document to be translated, the Court may, if it thinks fit, direct the translator to keep the contents secret, unless the document is to be given in evidence: and, if the interpreter disobeys such direction, he shall be held to have committed an offence under section 166 of the Indian Penal Code 


Ask that person to contact advocate without wasting time to know his right to have translated copy! 




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x