Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Murali (Assistant)     12 September 2013

Capital gain tax

Dear Sir,

I have investment in stocks of NSE/BSE listed companies. Usually  I had exit from some of the stocks (profit booking) and invest the same in other stocks. In addition, I have use my salaried income for purchase. Till date I have not taken any amount from trading the stocks. My question is Can I pay income tax to the capital gain generated by selling the stocks (which is reinvested)even though I have not getting any financial benefits.

Sincerely,

Murali

Learning

3 Replies

Ms.Nirmala P.Rao (CEO)     14 September 2013

Dear Client,

Unless you invest them in  mutual funds or in securities under Section 80 IT Act1961, you are liable to pay short term capital gains tax on those stocks which are reinvested by you.

Ms.Nirmala P. Rao

Legal Expert

K Krishnamurthy (Sr.executive Vice President (Retired))     15 September 2013

Madam,

Are you saying that if we have short term capital gains by selling shares of listed companies and if we invest that profit in Mutual funds, we can avoid tax on that profit? Please clarify whether I understood your reply to Mr Murali correctly.

K Krishnamurthy

Ms.Nirmala P.Rao (CEO)     15 September 2013

Dear Sir,

Such Short Term capital gains are subject to tax at the threshold limit of 10% only provided such profits on sale of equity shares etc were already subjected to Securities Transaction Tax. However, in such cases the benefit of Deductions under Chapter VI A including  that of Section  80 C IT Act 1961 is not available.

If   such profits are reinvested in mutual funds set up by a Public Sector Bank or Public Financial Institution under Section 10(23D) or in shares under Section 10(34) IT Act  or  units of UTI  or Mutual funds  all income arising therefrom(Dividends on such shares as referred in Section 115 O)  is fully exempt from Tax under Section 10(35).

Ms.Nirmala P.Rao

Legal Expert

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register