Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Can Principal Sessions Judge Issue Directions?

u/s 319, I had asked the acmm for taking cognizance of a person. Against this person the Police Investigation was over and  B report was not issued. In my PCR of 2006, my previous counsel didn't include his name stating that he is retired and not in station and also not necessary. Now, I have petitioned this because, other two living persons are dead. Every time 3 months it is getting adjourned. Now how to issue directions to expedite the matter? Is it only the Hon HC that can give directions under 482? or the Principal Civil and Sessions Judge also can give ? if so under what section? Can any guide please ?


The trial court (JM/MM) can order summons to the other persons u/s 319 of Cr.P.C.  if the petition is dismissed you can file revision u/s 397 to session court or to highcourt.  if you want speedy remedy file in highcourt.  if it is pending get a direction in highcourt u/s 482 of Cr.P.C.  I think the accused are officials.  I advice better move to high court for redressal.


practicing advocate

You can request to the court also.  Hich Court only issue direction to lower court to expeidate the case.

Legal Consultant / Solicitor

Approach High Court under Sec 482 for early trial. Sessions Court have not power under Section 482 of Cr.P.C


some lawyers are of the opinion that PCSC Judge has the powers u/s 397 to call for any papers at any stage from hon acmm. Is this true? My application given to hon acmm is not started at all, only getting adjourned from 5 months. It is perhaps one of the simplest cases. No witnesses are there. The last living accused has admitted his deed, but only insisting that he did so in the interest of the company. The non-living or corporate entity which is also accused is the HO. Police investigation is also over. If allowed, I may first try with hon.Principal Civil and Sessions Court. I am satisfied even with Re 1 fine to each of them after conviction. Because, then only I can make a damage or compensation claim.

Sec 397 is as follows.

Powers of sessions judge

397  Calling for records to exercise powers of revision.
(1) The High Court or any Sessions Judge may call for and examine the record of any proceeding before any inferior Criminal Court situate within its or his local jurisdiction for the purpose of satisfying itself or himself as to the correctness, legality or propriety of any finding, sentence or order,- recorded or passed, and as to the regularity of any proceedings of such inferior Court, and may, when calling for such record, direct that the execution of any sentence or order be suspended, and if the accused is in confinement, that he be released on bail or on his own bond pending the examination of the record. Explanation.- All Magistrates whether Executive or Judicial, and whether exercising original or appellate jurisdiction, shall be deemed to be inferior to the Sessions Judge for the purposes of this sub- section and of section 398.
(2) The powers of revision conferred by sub- section (1) shall not be exercised in relation to any interlocutory order passed in any appeal, inquiry, trial or other proceeding.
(3) If an application under this section has been made by any person either to the High Court or to the Sessions Judge, no further application by the same person shall be entertained by the other of them.
398. Power to order inquiry. On examining any record under section 397 or otherwise, the High Court or the Sessions Judge may direct the Chief Judicial Magistrate by himself or by any of the Magistrate subordinate to him to make, and the Chief Judicial Magistrate may himself make or direct any subordinate Magistrate to make, further inquiry into any complaint which has been dismissed under section 203 or sub- section (4) of section 204, or into the case of any person accused of an offence who has been discharged: Provided that no Court shall make any direction under this section for inquiry into the case of any person who has been discharged unless such person has had an opportunity of showing cause why such direction should not be made.
399. Sessions Judge' s powers of revision.
(1) In the case of any proceeding the record of which has been called for by himself, the Sessions judge may exercise all or any of the powers which may be exercised by the High Court under sub- section (1) of section 401.
(2) Where any proceeding by way of revision is commenced before a Sessions Judge under sub- section (1), the provisions of sub- sections (2), (3), (4) and (5) of section 401 shall, so far as may be, apply to such proceeding and references in the said sub- sections to the High Court shall be construed as references to the Sessions Judge.
(3) Where any application for revision is made by or on behalf of an person before the Sessions Judge, the decision of the Sessions Judge thereon in relation to such person shall be final and no further proceeding by Way of revision at the instance of such person shall be entertained by the High Court or any other Court.

Kindly clarify.

Head of the Department

I am having a long struggle with the management and the govt from 1979 for the pay fixation.  My Pay fixation matter is from the College Tribunal to High Court in both the courts the dicission is in my favour. Govt of Maharashtra has filed SLP in the Supreme Court against the order of the Mumbai High Court. (Order dated 14th MArch 2007)

In the Hon. Supreme Court the matter is not coming up for hearing. I have retired from the services in Oct 2010, since the fixation is pending i am not placed in the pension scheme. I am suffering from heavy financial losses. 

I would lioke to know the procedure, requesting the HOn. Court to expedite the matter and dispose off. Is there any legal provision / act under which I can request the court to dispose the matter as I am retired from the services.

It will be a great help to me if you give me guidance in detail




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x