Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anjalee (LAW student)     04 January 2010

Trimming & Cutting of Trees

Hi All,

Trees are our friends & we need to protect them. But then sometimes they may become threat to our lives too. Like in this case a tree in the society was bending & it could fall on anyone’s head, the mistake made by the society members that they did not inform the Municipal Corporation & trimmed the branches from the tree so that it does not fall on anyone’s head.

Someone complained against the Society & Police registered case against the secretary and did the Panchnama of the same. The poor secretary though with good intentions had to face unnecessary legal hassles.

Surfing on the internet I came to know that one should plant 3 trees in-place of one tree being uprooted. Secondly if the tree is uprooted which is coming in the way then Corporation replants it somewhere else, again the fact is even if it is replanted its chances of survival is 0.01%. Also many of these cases go unregistered as laws on trimming & cutting of trees is not stringent.

My questions are:

1)     Shouldn’t be Trimming of Trees cases to be dealt differently than Cutting of Trees. Also understanding the situation in which tree is cut & motive behind it should be considered for punishing offenders.

2)     It is with good intention to plant 3 trees in place of 1. Is it practical for society building  to do so considering the parking area & place for planting trees as most of the society may have other trees or may have less place to plant trees.

3)      Awareness on different species of Trees which can be planted, which trees can be trimmed without permission and which trees should be planted with permission.

For example: The Peepal Tree, according to Hindus it is very auspicious tree & it should not be cut or trimmed as per general belief (this what I have known, I am mentioning it for general discussion & not to offend someone’s feelings) but at the same time if this tree grows on the building structure or on the compound wall between the two buildings then isn’t it prudent to uproot such trees before it becomes threat to the safety of building structure.

4)      By making law stringent in cutting the trees is not enough or there should be another approach that is educating people the importance of trees and what should be done to maintain trees and what should not be done while trimming & cutting trees. How many trees should be at least being planted in society as per the area available so that it does not form threat to the living members of the society? 

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register