LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Neville   08 January 2021

Transfer of name pagdi system

I am single, 33 years old and live in Mumbai/Canada. Our apt in Mumbai under the pagdi system is still in my great grandmother’s name (father’s mother’s mother) who died decades ago. Her daughter (my grandmother) died in 2011. The surviving heirs are my father and his two brothers (who live elsewhere). We’ve all been born and grown up in this house. My father moved to the US in 2005 and I moved to Canada in 2013 but we keep coming here every year for 3-4 months to take care of this apt as it stays empty the remainder of the year after my grandmother passed away in 2011. Paying rent has also never been an issue.

Now the only problem is-the apt is still in my great grandmother’s name. Should we get it changed to my father’s name (or my name), or is it okay to leave it this way? We have been hesitant to approach the landlord on this since some people told us that he may charge 20-30L for name change. But I also read online that landlord cannot do so in case of blood relation.

What can happen if we leave it this way? Can it be a problem if/when the building goes into redevelopment 10-20 years down the line? 

Thanks

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register