Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manorathan   04 November 2015

Tenant's guest in rented house

Hello! 

I live in a 2BHK rented apartment in Chennai. I have a friend who studies in a university near my home and as his hostel is in a bad state, he has been staying at my place from October and intends to be here until the end of November. As a tenant, is it illegal to let a friend stay in the spare bedroom for 2 months? As he is a German, the building association raised it as an issue and decided to implement a ban on foreigners visiting the premises, although there has been no untoward incidents due to my friend's stay. Also, neither the association nor the lessor is ready to give me the set of rules to be followed in writing. As I am not happy with this rule, and as they demanded that my friend has to leave immediately, I requested to be allowed to vacate the flat in a week instead of having to serve 1 month's notice period. They refused, and insisted on my serving the full notice period. And now, my lessor states that he will deduct Rs. 15000 from my security deposit for my friend's stay. Is it legal on the lessor's part to demand money over and above the rent for a friend's stay?

Thanks.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register