LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramkrishna (private)     05 November 2021


Can wife', children or grand children have rights on one's self acquired property.


 13 Replies

dhanya manoj   05 November 2021

Yes, if an individual wants to write his/her self-acquired property in the name of anyone, and that includes his wife, children or grand-children it is absolutely his choice. Self- acquired property is inherited in two ways;either by will or by the rule of succession. So technically, according to The Hindu Succession Act, 1956, the self-acquired property is inherited by the first class heirs in case a will wasn't already written. The grandson will acquire the self acquired property of the grandfather only after the death of the father. 

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     05 November 2021

No body/person can claim right over one's self acquired property during his lifetime.In case person dies integrated then as per succession law his self acquired property shall pass on to his/her class first legal heirs.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     06 November 2021

What is your question qua self-acquired property ?

You may or may not share with any one including your wife, children or anyone else or dispose it to anyone of your choice.

Vague and hypothetical facts vis-a-vis query.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 November 2021

One can deal with his self acquired property as it pleases him and no one can claim any right on those properties.  Inheritance in such cases steps in if the person dies without a will. (intestate) and it is proper to write a will and get it duly registered, and the will can be changed/modified any number of times.

1 Like

Ramkrishna (private)     06 November 2021

I own a piece of land which was self acquired before my marriage, now my children are asking to let them develop the land, which I am against. They are putting all types of psycological pressure. If I want to dispose the land they want to create hurdles by going to the court and stall the sale.


G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 November 2021

It is your wish and pleasure, and no one can deter you from dealing the property as you like.  These are all threats to mislead you and if your advocate is competent, and if the purchaser is satisfied with your title, no one can stop you.

Kevin Moses Paul   06 November 2021

It is essential for you to understand the basic concepts of property. See, under the Hindu law, there are two types of properties: ancestral property and self-acquired property. An ancestral or coparcenary property is one which you inherit from your forefathers, up to four generations. Prior to the 2005 amendment in the Hindu Succession Act, only male members of the family were coparceners but later daughters, too, were entitled to get a share. The right to a share in such a property accrues by birth itself, unlike other forms of inheritance, where legacy opens upon the death of the owner.

On the contrary, a self-acquired property is any property which is bought by an individual from his own resources or any property he acquired as a part of the division of any ancestral/coparcenary property. This also includes the property obtained through a legal heir or by any testamentary document such as Will or a gift deed.

A person can formulate a WILL and can transfer his property (self-acquired property) to any person i.e. wife, children, grandchildren, any relative or even to a Trust etc. Henceforth, in simple terms answer to your query basically depends upon the WILL formulated by the owner.

However, in case the person dies intestate (i.e. without a WILL) his property will be divided equally between his children's and wife, and later on his grandchildren will have their rights in the property (after their parent).
1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     13 November 2021

During your lifetime, none of the prospective legal heirs have any rights or claim over the property. You can deal with the property at your discretion.

Ramkrishna (private)     13 November 2021


My only comment is what can I do if my children who have an eye on the property go to court on frivolous ground when I intend to sell the self acquired property Knowing well that they have no right to claim  Going to court means I will not be able to sell the property when I intend to.


P. Venu (Advocate)     13 November 2021

They have no cause of action to approach, and even if they approach the court the suit could be got rejected for want of cause of action. 

Ramkrishna (private)     13 November 2021


Thank you for giving me assurance, but they have already told me that they would do so. Hope the courts reject it as you say, if not I will be facing great hardship.

Shyam Pardeshi   23 November 2021

weather mother is intitaled to son's property if son died intersted before mother and if yes she can make will of such property

P. Venu (Advocate)     23 November 2021

Mr. Shyam

Please post the query in a fresh thread.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register