Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Cyril (Manager)     08 July 2011

Salary when on medical leave

Dear All,

I was working with a private bank since oct 2007, and in dec 2009 i was down with depression and the bank was duly informed of my condition by my wife. My colleagues had come to meet me and i was in a mentally incapacitated state. The following year my salary was stopped and then suddenly resumed. I had to go to Thailand for medical treatment from Nov 2010 till Jan 2011 and in Feb 2011 I reported back to my supervisor and informed him of the salary being credited.

In the presence of my supervisor the Head HR had come and talked to me and told me that i need to provide all the necessary medical documents as well as pay back the money credited into my account which amounts to around Rs 4,10,000 and they'd put up the matter with Central HR and then i can join back. During the month of March 2011, I took a loan of 3 lakhs and credited into my account. The matter is still not resolved as of today (July 8, 2011). Now from the period of Feb to July 2011, I had been using the loan amount for my daily requirements, as a result of which I might have to take another loan when asked to fund the account.

Now I'm kinda stuck, as i need some income, I'm in no position to take up another loan to pay them back.

What happens if i forego the payment and look for another job?

Is there a way that i can ask for a rebate of some sort considering the months that went by without any progress on my case?

If i submit my resignation without settling the full and final, will i get my PF? can i ask for a relieving letter? what is the best possible way that i can settle this matteR?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

Dear Cyril,

Better apply for leave due along with copies of the documents of treatment in Thiland and in India. Better meet the management again to expedite your leave case.

BUT, you have not mentioned whether you tried to join back on duty or not and, if so, what was the outcome?

Your PF money is yours and you have all the right to claim that, but on retirement or on resignation, except to take some loan out of your PF money.

If you want to send your resignation please take care of the notice period.

K.S.Srinivas (Advisor (HR))     09 August 2011

After submitting resignation letter, they also you can get your pf amount.

Yes you can ask relieving letter.

Talk to the HR personnel and try to solve the matter amicably.

Cyril (Manager)     15 October 2011

Dear Mr. Dhingra, I did try to join back duty, but the matter got worse. I had a gut feeling that the HR Management at the place I was serving called me for a face to face interaction. After making me wait for almost an hour, an executive came up to deal with me. He gave me instructions as to what needs to be done at my end, get the recommendations of my bosses for reinstatement; I would get a post at the Service Branch; I also was given a blank paper on which they asked me to write a letter. This all made it sound that I was at fault, I then asked for a letter from stating the reasons why the amount was being taken back and also for an appropriate method where I don't have to take a loan. The entire idea that I have to take a loan and put that amount back into my a/c made it sound fishy. I asked them also for a clear details of the money to be recovered, I also asked if my leave balance was adjusted. On the condition that all this would be done at their end, I promised to get back and get the required recommendations in order to get the ball rolling. Alas! my hopes were shattered as they were not willing to do this. This gave me a feeling that the entire blame would be taken by me and that the HR Management where I was placed was trying to stifle the matter by hiding the correct details from the Central Office. As a result I went incommunicado. I received a call from the same executive asking for the same things they'd put before me. I refused to comply till I got what I wanted. Thereafter I received no calls, and they sent me a letter indicating that within 7 days if I didn't clear up this matter and report back to them in person, they'd terminate my employment (very subtly stated indeed where nothing about the whole matter was actually mentioned). It was just a warning, I didn't respond but went to a lawyer who told me that they couldn't touch me and that I needed to write a letter to the Central Office HR Head stating the whole matter explicitly. Since Mid August when this incident happened, I've been depressed again, and I've failed to write this letter. As I felt hopeless in resolving this situation. Now when I feel like writing this letter, I feel its too late to set things right. I'd love to hear what you have to say on this.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register