LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sridhar   01 November 2021

Release deed

My wife along with 2 of her sisters had signed the release deed favoring their mother, after the demise of their father.
Now her mother being the releasee have divided the property favoring the second & first daughter and leaving a small portion to my wife.
What can my wife do now so as to claim for equal share of her father property.
Appreciate if anyone could give me a good suggestion. Thanks.


 5 Replies

Anusha Singh   01 November 2021

As per your query it is understood that you need information regarding the release deed.

A deed of release is a legal document that removes a previous claim on an asset. It provides documentation of release from a binding agreement. A deed of release might be included when a lender transfers the title of real estate to the homeowner upon satisfaction of the mortgage. A deed of release literally releases the parties from previous obligations.

As the release deed is already signed that means the ownership is transferred in favor of your mother in law and now she has the right over the property and to take decisions about the property so if she has decided the share then you cannot claim any extra share in the property. She can divide the share according to her wish.

Hope it helps!



Anusha Singh

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     02 November 2021

The mother became the absolute owner by virtue of that release deed.  Please contact a local advocate to explore possibilities if any as studying of such conditions and validity is required and a suit has to be filed within the limitation period.

P. Venu (Advocate)     02 November 2021

There appears to be no easy solution if the release deed was duly executed and registered. 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     03 November 2021

Although relinquishment deed is irrevocable your wife may revoke it and file a declaratory suit through a local prudent lawyer.

Adv Yashika YS   08 December 2021

you may book a consultation with me, I will give you all the legal advice and guide you with the legal procedures

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register