LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil kumar TP (MSW(HR) student)     01 January 2010

Railway official imposed a fine....what remedy

An authorised railway official imposed fine or penalty to a passenger while he was on journey (wrong was on the part of passenger).... But still the passenger wants to teach the railway official a lesson and dont want to give up so easily.......

Can he contest the case???? If so where and how???

Do he need to pay the fine on the spot to the railway official???

what other remedy???



 8 Replies

shrikant chede (law officer)     01 January 2010

dont pay the fine immidiately ,ask him what is my fault ,if you discovered that he illegally misuse his powers then u can file complaint against  official in local police station or in high court by way of writ petition , if fault or wrong on ur part then pay the fine immidiately


Dear Anil,

You can contest. You have to lodge complaint with station SUperintendent of origin or destination Railway station stating all facts with xerox copy of the journey ticket and receipt of fine. Later you have to send your complaint to the General Manager of your region's railway office with all documentary evidence to take necessary action against the railway official. Yes they can trace out who is on duty at that time on that particular train and timing.


Devajyoti Barman (Advocate)     01 January 2010

Mr Anil Kumar don't you think that a passenger who himself is at fault has got no right to "teach a railway a lesson" who has done thr right thing. Being a member of legal fraternity we should not encourage such rash act to be done by the wronged party himself.

1 Like

Anil kumar TP (MSW(HR) student)     01 January 2010

Mr Devajyoti Barman

i agree with you since the wrong is on part of the passenger and we should not encourage such kind of incidents...

If the passenger thinks that  the railway official has imposed arbitrary fine............??? what can he do in such a circumstance

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     01 January 2010

 the offence and the fines are prescribed and a Railway Official cannot charge more than what is prescribed. The query does not indicate if the fine was more than that was prescribed. The query needs exact details for appropriate response.



Anil Kumar Ji,

As you mentioned clearly " Wrong was on the part of Passenger" but still you want to take revange on the Railway Official.

Go head and do. Finally you are the sufferer. The reason you admited, signed and paid the fine. By mistake if the officer collected more amount the railway just they refund your money back but they are going to take proper action against the convicted passenger.



Anil Agrawal (Retired)     01 January 2010

 It is half baked story. Give full facts. What happened? Why was he fined? What was his fault? Did he pay the fine? Has he got a valid receipt? Tell the facts.

Mohit Attri (lawyer)     02 January 2010


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads