LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shivayogi K (Civil Engineer & Contract Administrator)     10 May 2014

Property tax question

I own an apartment in Powai, Mumbai and while giving possession to me, developer has collected sizeable amount towards Property Tax. Later on when I checked the sale deed, found that Property Tax is not mentioned. When I spoke to friends, they told me that normally property tax has to be paid by the owner (not the developer).

Another issue is as per the sale deed, until formation of society, flat owner has to pay certain amount to the developer towards maintenance. Accordingly good sum of money was collected from me prior to giving possession.

Since developer has collected sizeable money towards property tax, I have been asking him to provide me payment receipt issued by the statutory authorities or adjust the amount against maintenance charges. However, developer has not given any payment vouchers to me but still asking me to pay towards property tax.

Now it is 3rd year and and dispute is still going on. So I want to what the law states and what are the obligations of the parties? Means Am I supposed to pay developer?

Please advise.

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 May 2014

Your friends were right to opine that the property tax has to be paid by you directly to the concerned authorities, you may enquire the same from the authorities and arrange to pay it yourself and show the receipts to the developer/builder and ask for his explanation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register