LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Girish Hodlur (Analyst)     04 August 2010

Property tax for a terrace flat

Recently we have been given a notice by our builder about the advance property tax for the year 2010-11. Since the society is not formed the property tax has not come on individual flat member's name. Mine is a 1 BHK terrace flat and in my case for property tax calculation the builder has taken the full terrace area in addtion to the carpet area. However during registration of my flat the terrace area was taken as half in the agreeement. My question what is the taxation rule for terrace flats. Any links to the govt guidelines/circular/Act which can clarify whether the terrace area should be taken as full or half.

Learning

4 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     04 August 2010

Dear Girish Hodlur,

Generally property tax is levied on the area mentioned in the agreement only, however if the terrace area is covered with temparory or permanent sturcture then it attract the additional property tax, in your case it will be 50% terrace area mentioned in agreement and 50% additional.

Regards.

1 Like

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     04 August 2010

just see area mention in your agreement

Girish Hodlur (Analyst)     05 August 2010

@Shirish Pawar & Bharatkumar,

Thanks for your response.

My flat area is 655 sqft + 150 sqft terrace. In the agreement the area mentioned are 483 + 150 sqft terrace. Does it mean that the property tax will be levied on 633 sqft area or in this case the terrace should be calculate as half. Pls advise.

As per 663 area an amount of Rs 6551/- has been levied @10.35/sqft as property tax. Is this correct?

RAM MAHADEO RISBUD (STUDENT)     12 February 2011

I have free hold plot of 1475 Sq ft on which I have done home improvement by constructing two rooms on first floor( 300 Sq ft carpet)on Existing ground floor ( 802 Sq ft carpet area, Built up area 72.37 Sq  m + two balconies 4.5 m x 1.2 m and 5.64 m x 1.2 m attached to slab as per old sanctioned plan by Gram panchayat). Ratable value for this existing ground floor construction for residential was Rs 3050. The New Ratable value now charged by Pune Municipal Corporation for residential is Rs 8250/-. Because of construction of two rooms on first floor remaining portion of existing earlier slab has been taken as terrace though it is open to sky. The two balconies mentioned above are also open to sky..Also earlier ratable value was with car parking. However in new ratable value they have added car parking area (30 SQ ft) which is not covered (open to sky). The new ratable value by addition of 300 Sq ft seems to be very high..Please provide the rules for calculation of ratable value in my case. Kindly suggest the remedial measures to get correct ratable value to my property.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register