LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ayush Mishra   12 May 2019

joint account..after death

I had a either or surviour joint bank account with my father. If I had closed it after his death and I dont want to show account statement to other legal hiers(my brothers), could they can go to court to get its statement, if yes then how.
How can I stop them legally to do so as this was my fathers wish to not share any account details with them after his death. Request the experts please guide.

Learning

4 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     12 May 2019

Dear queriest, Did your father give any written document?  If you have no any written document you cant stop your brothers  as legal heirs of your father have equal rights over it.

Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Advocate)     13 May 2019

in case your father left WILL in your favour then legal heirs have no right on above some, in other case all legal heirs are entitled for sum as per their share

Ayush Mishra   13 May 2019

No my father hadn't left any written will. So how will other person reach the court to get account statement of joint account which is already closed. What will be legal steps involved in this?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     13 May 2019

Once the depositor expires, his all legal heirs step into his shoes as claimants.  You can only be a trustee and even if the Bank pays the amount to you in due course as per the mandate was given, you can not escape from civil and criminal liability towards legitimate legal heirs.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register