Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     02 January 2010

How many Indian divorcees feel the same way?

Brit couple married for 20 years, divorce and remarry within six weeks!

London, Jan 1 (ANI): A couple who split after 20 years of marital life tied the knot again - just six weeks later.

Jan and Lee Jones from Southend-on-Sea, Ess*x divorced in November, only to discover they couldn''t live without each other.

So, they walked down the aisle again on Christmas Eve.

Their 10 children also attended the ceremony.

"We separated because of the usual things which cause problems, like finance and other issues which put pressure on any relationship," the Telegraph quoted Mrs Jones, as saying.

"But we simply decided we couldn''t live apart so we got married again."

The pair met in April 1989 and got married in July 1990 at the United Reform Church in Southend.

Mrs Jones recalled: "It was a traditional church wedding with all our friends and family."

She was already a mum to son James, now 23, from a previous marriage and the couple had their first child Lee, now 18, in January 1991.

After that they became parents to Paul, 17, Stephen, 13, Hannah, nine, Amy, seven, Ella, five, Emily, three, George, two, and Callum, one.

They decided to split after nearly two decades of marriage in January 2009.

"We had a lot of problems, like money problems, me working and Jan doing all the work at home, relying on friends to help take the children to school," Mr Jones said.

He continued: "We tried to make it work but we couldn''t.

"We thought we would get divorced and see what happened.

"I moved out and got a room and I was coming around seeing the children every time I could."

Even after the divorce the pair remained friends and kept in constant touch with each other through phone and texts.

Mr Jones said: "I''m used to the children and Jan being around me and being on my own was like something was missing out of my life.

"We were texting each other and ringing and I was coming around all the time.

"It was the worst time of my life."

And finally when their divorce papers came in November, they realised what they were losing.

Mrs Jones said: "The crux was when the divorce papers came through, it all hit home.

"I opened up the letter and thought, ''this is a bit final''. I texted Lee and said, ''have you got it?''"

Mr Jones echoed her feelings: "It felt like we were not just throwing away 20 years together, we had grown up together."

Soon both wanted to reunite.

Mrs Jones said: "We were sitting at the kitchen table together one night talking about it and I said, ''but I still love you'' and he said, ''but I still love you - why are we doing it?''.

"We decided to give it another go."

Mr Jones added: "We thought it would be romantic to get married on Christmas Eve but never thought we would be able to.

"I rang them and they said they had an opening at 11am on Christmas Eve and we decided to go for it." (ANI)

https://www.yahind.com/news/directory.php?id=10079

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)

Please don't compare with Indian divorcees. Indian divorcee wait for long a time and gets divorce decree. Indian women mind set is different from western women.

A western divorcees knew the real value of marriage and affection.

No need to teach indians about the value of marriage and affection.

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     02 January 2010

Mr. Satya Prakash.. i am not getting down on Indian marriage insititution - what you said is right but my question is to find whether any of the divorcees in India regret their decision for divorce.  Hope you got my point.  Its just to explicit the experiences of people of broken marriages.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     03 January 2010

Mr. Satya Prakash,

mr rao is indian only. he posted a good and positive news. such news are allways wellcome.

what you have told is also true. indian women is much more panicy for divorce. I felt that some of them thinks being widow and being divorcee is almost same thingh. they affraid of their future; may be for dowery or for social attitude towards a male-less female.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     03 January 2010

In Indian context where a wife/any girl used to be dependent on any male member it may be her husband/father/brother/son, and divorce is a nightmare for them. Re union is good thing, and for that we must kill our ego first.

Just  go through the story of "Shakuntla and Raja(King) Dushyant". Re union is not new in India, only thing is it is not attracting media.

Just go through the life story of John Forbes Nash, Jr.winner of Nobel Prize,

Marriage

In 1951, Nash went to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a C. L. E. Moore Instructor in the mathematics faculty. There, he met Alicia López-Harrison de Lardé (born January 1, 1933), a physics student from El Salvador, whom he married in February 1957. She admitted Nash to a mental hospital in 1959 for schizophrenia; their son, John Charles Martin Nash, was born soon afterward, but remained nameless for a year because his mother felt that her husband should have a say in the name.

Nash and Lopez-Harrison de Lardé divorced in 1963, but reunited in 1970, in a nonromantic relationship that resembled that of two unrelated housemates. De Lardé referred to him as her "boarder" and said they lived "like two distantly related individuals under one roof," according to Sylvia Nasar's 1998 biography of Nash, A Beautiful Mind. The couple renewed their relationship after Nash won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 1994. They remarried on June 1, 2001.

Source:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register