Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Niraj   26 January 2016

Government holidays for shift personnel

Respected Sir,

I am working in NPCIL (Government org)in round the shift job (Operations ) for power generation . Being in the shift we have a defined shift schedule. This shift schedule provides us with leave after every 4 days which makes total leaves in a year equalling 91 days . The General shift people gets a total leave of 81 leaves (including Sunday,17 Government holiday and holiday on every 2nd saturday of the month ). This is where the problem arises . Citing that we the shift people are already getting 10 holidays more than the general shift people ,the shift personnel are barred to get any government holiday be it 26 jan 15 aug or any other day! . Moreover the people who are at HQ or cit offices they have both saturday sunday as off .So they get a total of 123 holiday (52 saturdays,52 sundays and 17 Government holidays +2 Ristrected holidays) .When asked why they are taking holidays on saturdays they cite that they are doing an additional hour everyday on weekdays (to be precise they literally do only 0.5 hrs extra but say it 1 hour) . Sir I would also like to bring into your attention that my friends who work in NTPC SAIL IOCL and other org where round the clock job is must they also get 91 holidays in year due to shift and also get 17 government hoidays(or a C off if they are working on that day) thus a total of 108 days holidays . The management is not ready to listen us so kindly tell that whether we being Shift personnel are entitled to get Government holidays or C Offs if we work that day . If we are entitled to get the 17 GH kindly tell the rule or act which supports the claim and the legal procedure we need to follow to implement the same 

Thanks and Regards

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 January 2016

Represent thru Employee's Unions and negotiate.

Look into enactments applicable to the establishment and

State level Acts i.e: National and Festival Holiday Acts.........................

e.g:Karnataka Industrial Establishments (National and Festival Holidays) Act 1963;Sec:5 

The Punjab Industrial Establishment (National and Festival Holidays and Casual and Sick Leave) Act 1965:Sec:5

and Minimum Wages (Central) Rules 1950;Sec:23 (4) if applicale.

Niraj   26 January 2016

Thanks for the reply . can you please tell if these are applicable for officer level too ?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     27 January 2016

Go thru the enactments that apply to establishment and employee. You will find your answers.

Negotiated settlement with employer is another option.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register