LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suraj Kumar (Manager)     10 January 2022

Dowry prohibition

My wife in written statement before the court stated that Dowry was given to him by her father.

Can I file a case to punish both of them under dowry prohibition act ?


 5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     11 January 2022

Both receiver and payee are accused under the dowry prohibition act. If any person, after the commencement of this Act, gives or takes or abets the giving or taking of dowry, he shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to five thousand rupees, or with both. Penalty for demanding dowry.

1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     11 January 2022

Mr. Suraj Kumar's profile suggests that he is having fun by posting imaginary queries.

Aryan Raj   11 January 2022

In response to your query,

Dowry Prohibition Act, Indian law, enacted on May 1, 1961, intended to prevent the giving or receiving of a dowry. Under the Dowry Prohibition Act, dowry includes property, goods, or money given by either party to the marriage, by the parents of either party, or by anyone else in connection with the marriage. Yes you can file a case requesting punishment for you wife and her father under Dowry Prohibition Act.

File an FIR against your wife for false 498A complaint. You can also file an FIR against your wife for blackmailing or filing a false 498A case against you. Police in India usually do not favor such FIR, but if you make your case foolproof, the police cannot deny you to file an FIR against your wife.


Aryan Raj 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     12 January 2022

Is it your personal case ?

Parasar   19 January 2022

you cannot because you cannot prosecute the aggrieved person based on her statements, but there is no clarity about who is the aggrieved person. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register