Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Doctrine of '' rule of law''

DOCTRINE OF "RULE OF LAW"

1. Many democratic countries including India have accepted doctrine of rule of law. Doctrine of rule of law implies that every person is equal before the law. All Public officials, whether high or low, are under the same responsibility for every act done by them. All laws should bind every one including those who run the Government and the Government itself. The equality of all in the eyes of law minimises the tyranny and irresponsibility on the part of the executive authorities.

2. In the rule of law, arbitrary exercise of power by the executive is practically eliminated. Therefore, there is no possibility of a person being oppressed, harassed or subjected to unjust trial or illegal proceedings. In other words, legal process cannot be abused by the executive by virtue of such rights conferred on the accused person.

3. The judiciary when applying the law to a particular case must do so independently and without any external pressure or control. The judges should decide only according to the rules laid down and not according to their own sense of justice or personal preference.

PRECEDENT

(i). Where rule of law is strong, people uphold the law not out of fear but because they have a stake in its effectiveness.

2010 ALL M.R. (Cri.) 244 (BOM) (F.B)

(ii). “Preamble of our constitution guarantees to a citizen justice, liberty, equality and fraternity. All these are possible only when there is rule of law. Rule of law indicates good governance which requires fair legal frame work that enforce law impartially. Impartial enforcement of laws requires an independent judiciary and an impartial and incorruptible police force. 

2010 ALL M.R. (Cri.) 244 (BOM) (F.B).

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/blog/show_blog.asp?member_id=92444

Learning

1 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     01 August 2011

This is how "rule of law" is subverted in our country:

Arms Act 1959 has been promulgated to only regulate the Fundamental Right of RKBA guaranteed under Articles 19 and 21 of Constitution of India. Those who are not aware of this fact, please read this: https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/RKBA-guaranteed-under-Articles-19-and-21-of-Constitution-36011.asp

But this fact that RKBA is a fundamental right has been kept a "secret" from common man. Not only common man but most of the people in legal fraternity are not aware of this fact. Result is that no one has been able to see that various Sections of Arms Act 1959 are suffering from vice of over delegation. Result of this is that we suffer from lack of rule of law.

Now let us use our mind and think. Once we read Sections 3 and 25 of Arms Act 1959 (keeping in mind that RKBA is a fundamental right), the question of "license" for firearms and punishment for possessing firearms without "license" is itself is on shaky grounds. Please think about the following points:

1) Since arms is a fundamental right guaranteed to me by our Constitution under Articles 19 and 21, I can create my own firearm.

2) If I create my firearm, then I have no way to follow the regulations as prescribed by Arms Act 1959. If I go to licensing authority to get a "license" for my firearm (please note: license has already been granted to me by the Constitution, I am only getting a copy of that license from Licensing Authority), I am being forced to make declaration to get myself implicated under Arms Act 1959. Thus Article 20(3) of Constitution is being violated by Arms Act 1959.

My points are that since RKBA is a fundamental right:

a) State is not "granting" me any license under Arms Act 1959. Rather it is only issuing a copy of license that is already guaranteed to me by Constitution.

b) State is self incriminating me for enjoying my fundamental right. Because of this there should be a section in Arms Act 1959 that allows all those people who are enjoying there fundamental right but have not complied with regulations of Arms Act 1959(got license or registered etc.).

Similar case about self incrimination decided by US Supreme Court has been discussed at https://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?id=22&issue=006

Hope I have been able to explain how rule of law is subverted in our country by creating confusion among people.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register