LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj   13 January 2018

Do i have any liability for a property that i sold out

I purchased a piece of land 20 years ago after engaging a lawyer to verify if the right ownership is in place. After getting a green signal from the lawayer  bought the land. 10 years ago I sold the land. The land originally belonged to 4 brothers & sisters. The sale was made a third person who had power of attorney. The piece of land I bought was part of big parcel of land which was divided and sold by the person with power of attorney. 

Now I received a notice from an advocate claimig to be representing the wife & daughters of one of the brothers of the original owning family. This brother, believe, died before the sale of the land was made. The notice says that wife & daughters approached their husband/father's family to get into partition deed but the other brothers&sisters evaded.

The lawyer notice is asking me to "execute the cancellation of the sale deed" which was registered 20 years ago (that is my purchase). Considering that I sold the land (mine is just a piece of big parcel of land the original family sold) 10 years ago, is this lawyer notice valid? Am I legally liable? 

I will greatly appreciate any professional opinion on this. 

Thanks

Raj

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 January 2018

'Buyer Beware' applies to property deals.

It shall be appropriate to get proper legal opinion from a very able local senior counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in revenue/property/civil/DRT matters before signing or making payment.

This may cost some FEE but can defend long term interest and hard earned monies.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 January 2018

Hope you have the copy of PoA, sale deed, and written legal opinion.

Hope you checked that Principal(s) that signed PoA are alive as on date of sale to you.

Show all of these to your own very able senior LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in such/civil matters and having successful track record..........for a considered opinion and reply...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register