LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

LID - Query (Secretary)     16 May 2009

Divorce under Indian Christian Marriage Act

Dear Sir,

My brother registered his marriage under the christian marriage act about 6 months ago and the church marriage was fixed in April 09.  It did not take place due to difference between the families.  The girl had in the mean time stopped the marriage banns from being read after the first one by giving a letter to the church.  During this time the girl verbaly abused each and every member of the famiy even dragged everyone to the police st and now insists on a new date being set. 

In such a case how can the marriage be dissolved and what are the implications.

The marriage have not been consumated nor has the girl lived even for a day in the boys place.


 3 Replies


why cant approach head presit of that chruch get better adivse  as per frame work of law of registratiobs of marriages and etc


Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     17 May 2009

 As the marriage is registered the only recourse is to file a divorce petition in the concerned court seeking anullment of the marriage. But your case is too premature  to file divorce petition. The details frnished by you are not fuller and does not disclose the actual problem. Please furnish fuller details so that we can be of any help. Regards Srinivas BSST

Carlisle Collins (Samaritan)     13 December 2009

I would go talk to the Registrar of Marriage and get some practical advise from them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query