LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manish Kumar Gupta (Deputy Legal Manager)     29 December 2009

Cash deposited through ATM, found short at the time of Count

Dear All, I have diposited Rs.13000 cash through envolope provided by HDFC Bank. I have deposited it through 2 envelopes containing Rs. 10000 and Rs. 3000 respectively. Amount 3000 credited to my account but Rs. 10000 credited only Rs 5000 with statement that 5000 Rs. found Short. I have deposited the amount in the Denomination of Rs. 500. I have rasied a complaint through phone banking as there procedure and met with bank officials also. But they are stating the same that they found the amount short. But I am very much sure that i have deposited the complete amount. Please suggest me what remedy I have. What I should do Legally to get my money back.


 11 Replies

subhash kumar (advocate)     29 December 2009

dear, sent the notice to the bank  narrating all the facts  thereupon you may approach the consumer court ,you may also lodge your complaint with ombudsman of the bank

subhash kumar,adv

1 Like

Manish Kumar Gupta (Deputy Legal Manager)     29 December 2009

What documents, I should collect, I have only the deposit slip as a proof. but If it is suffiecient.. because it only states that amount which we have feed at the time of depositing..


Maneesh ji,

Deposit slips are enough as a proof. First you have to lodge a complaint to The Branch Manager, lodge a police complaint against the bank for fraud, send a complaint to the Banking Ombudsman stating all facts and enclosing a xerox copy of your deposit slips and recent bank statement.

2 Like

Manish Kumar Gupta (Deputy Legal Manager)     30 December 2009

I have tried to lodge the FIR against bank for this fraud.. but they are not ready for that. Is FIR must for these claims..

Gupta ji, If Police didn't take your complaint, made complaint with the Superintendent of Police / Commissioner of police by personally or by registered post with acknoweledgement card. Whether they complaint register or not to register upto the police department. You need acknoweledgement that you complained for fraud to the police department. This is evidence for your future case.

sinuvasu (advisor)     20 January 2010

dear manish.

pls lodge the complaint to the police located at the jurisdiction of that bank and also a written complaint to the branch manager.remember one thing ,all the activities related to the cash deposit through ATM will be carried out in front of cc-tv cameras. u may request the branch manager to access the footage  of deposit.It is the mandatory provisions that the banks will open the envoleps and count the currencies in close vicinity of cctv camera.If ur confident to ur stand then move aheadu and a copy of   ur complaint to higher police officials through regestered A/D. and file a petition before consumer forum for illegal trade practise..

good luck.

prsmitra (advocate)     04 July 2010

dear sir,

first you should collect concerned ATM Bank Officials to furnish JPT log copy and also any excess amount on the date of closing ATM found in tour under right of information by paying necessary fee to them under RI Act.

then only you should file complainant against Bank before Consumer forum or Bankers Ombundsmen.


prsmitra (advocate)     04 July 2010

i agree with reply of srinvasu also.

anuj (Manager Admin)     19 October 2010

I agree with Mr Srinivasu but the documents must be there  

-bank copy of deposited slip which you have signed one side that is deposited with the cash to the ATM

-The above should match to the counterfoil that you have .

-If u have any obstacle in filing fir approach the higher authorities.

Bank  has the habit to passing the buck  easily to the outsource agencies so do not allow ,stic to your stand

wish you good luck


sureshkumar g r (lawyer)     31 December 2011

Dear friend,  the cash deposited at the ATM was collected by some outsourcing agents of new generation bank and it will be handed over to the bank staff. All the collected cash covers/pouches will be opened by the bank staff and it will be monitored by a camera . So u can write a detailed letter along with the printed statement generated by the ATM while depositing the cash to the concerned branch in which you have account.

If you have not received a favourable reply then u may contact the consumer forum which is having jurisdiction and can ask for a remedy.


All the best

adv g r sureshkumar



Sachin Bhatia (Advocate)     16 February 2012

agree with sinuvasu

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register