Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Frank (FM)     12 January 2013

Buying a residential property

Dear Sirs,

I am planning to buy a residential property in Mumbai. As per the documents of the property shared by the seller, the property was owned by Mr. X ( a Hindu)  . On his death the property was transferred in the society records in the name of Mrs X.( a Hindu)

In 2010 , the society went into redevelopment . The documents shown indicate a tripartite agreement between the society, the developers and by virtue of which Mrs X  will be given a flat in the redeveloped building. 

Mrs  X died in 2011 . She  had made a will ,but it was not registered.She is survived by 2 sons and 1 daughter while she had one more umarried son who had died in 2004.In the will she had transferred the residential property in the name of Mr. Y who is one of the 2 surviving sons.Since the will was not registered and since this was an inherited property ,the 2 surviving brothers and the surviving  sister agreed to discard the will.They requested the society to transfer the fal in the name of Mr.Y. The society took signed affidavits from the 3 heirs and gave a notice in news papers to invite objections and then  made Mr. Y a member in the society in 2012. This is evidenced by an entry on the reverse of the share certificate signed and stamped by the society  chairman.

Now on completion of the redevlopment , in jan 2013 Mr.Y has given an offer to sale which I have accepted.While making an agreement for transfer of sale, i was advised by my propert consultant who is a lwayer  to make a sale agreement with Mr.Y and make the other two surviving heirs as the consenting party in the agreement.He has also advised all the 3 heirs to given a signed indemnity bond on a Rs.200 stamp paper declaring that they will indemnify any claims made on this property , and also indemnify any other claims if any claims are made or any  interest  is claimed by anyone in the property.This will also be registered  with the registrar along with the sale documents and indemnity bond. All the 3 heirs have agreed to do this.

No succession certificate was taken either at the time of death of Mr. X or Mrs X. Also no other  government records were updated to show that the property is now in name of Mr. Y .

Based on the above mentioned details,I would like to know the following .

1) Can the society refuse to give an NOC to Mr Y  for the sale of this property .

2) I intent to take a bank loan, will i face any issues in getting a bank loan

3) Can the registrar office refuse to register the transfer of sale of the property in my name citing any issues.

4) As a buyer will my interest in the property be secured if I follow the procedure as advised by my property consultant.

5)Consequent  to the sale and registration of the property ,Can the society refuse to transfer the flat in my name in the share certificate and society records as the owner  of this property .

5) What additional steps  should i take to protect my interest in the property and to  avoid any hassles at the time of sale of this property  in the future.

to make it clear

Mrs  X died in 2011 . She  had made a will ,but it was not registered.Mrs X  is survived by 2 sons and 1 daughter . MRs X also  had one more umarried son who  died in 2004.

Learning

1 Replies

Ibrahim Deshmukh (Legal Consultancy)     16 February 2013

Dear Mr .... (Frank)

I went through  your query which is really FRANK and well-explained by you.  I am equally surprised to see it remained un-addressed for a long time.

1- Please let me know status of untility bills (BEST Light meter, telephone, and BMC Tax, Gas etc.) in whose name? Are the same still in the name of  late mother (Mrs. X) or in the name of Mr. Y ? if not , insist to get the same transferred first in the name of Mr. Y, as you intend to buy directly from Mr. Y.

2- Also insist for succession certificate as well as copy of un-registered "Will".

Prior to paying any advance and entering into Agreement to sale, let Mr. Y request formally to CHS to issue a NOC for transfer of flat in your name, without which you will not get the Agreement to sale registered. As long as Share Certificate is endorsed in Mr Y's name CHS should not object for NOC.  Although majority of CHS Presidents and Secretaries are well known for their non-cooperation unless they get hefty transfer charge, but I am sure your CHS is not in that majority, else Mr. Y will need to find legal remedy for obtaining NOC.

Go step by step ... 1st untilities must be in Mr Y's name, 2nd Scucession Certificate, 3rd copy of un-registered will,
and then CHS NOC and so on....

By the way your friend-cum-property consultant & Lawyer has given you perfect advice to get yourself indemnified from other legal heirs by  obtaining (Haq Sod Patra). euqally important in this case.

All the best

Ibrahim Deshmukh
Legal Consultant
Email: ibdesh@gmail.com
www.law-india.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register