LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vyas the Gamer   28 July 2021

arms license

I am found of sword fight and want to learn it. it is necessary to have a sword for that, I want to buy a blunt sword just for learning and practice purpose. do I need a license for that ? Is it permissible to go somewhere (practice ground) or travell with a blunt sword ? If I need a license then who will issue it ? please advice.  

Learning

4 Replies

BHAVYA SOM GARG   28 July 2021

As per the situation laid out by you, I wish to tell you that as per the Arms Act, 1959, and the Arms Rules, 1962, a sword is considered to be an arm other than a firearm. Schedule 1 of the Rules specifies that swords, daggers, knives which are more than 9 inches in length and 2 inches in widdth would come under the category and as such, can be kept only after a license is sought to keep them, if under Section 4 of the Act, the Central Government may issue a notification and make it compulsory to have a license for such arms. So you need to have a valid license for even a blunt sword.

Further, for the issue as to who shall grant the license, I must tell you that as per Schedule 2 of the Rules, if a sword has to be kept for the purpose of practicing, the person has to seek a license from the District Magistrate of the area under whose jurisdiction the person lives.

As to the carrying of arms being illegal, I wish to tell you that generally, carrying arms in public places or while travelling is illegal in India. You cannot go about using your arm in the public.

SAM (LEGAL)     28 December 2023

Any edged weapon wider than 2” and longer than 8” is classified as a weapon (non firearm). Technically it needs a license as per INDIAN arms act. Swords are considered “prohibited arms” under the Arms Act and are illegal to own or possess without a licence. This indicates that having a katana sword in India is permissible, but only with the right official approval.

Section 4 of arms act provides that central govt may issue notification in official gazette regulating acquisition possession of arms other than fire arms.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     28 December 2023

Swords are considered “prohibited arms” under the Arms Act and are illegal to own or possess without a licence.

Same goes for any other martial arts weapon that resembles a sword. Depending on your state and local laws, it may be best to store these blades at the recreational location at which you practice. So while it may be legal in some specific circumstances, carrying a sword in public is typically illegal

Any individual seeking to possess or use a sword in India must obtain a valid license from the competent authority as per the provisions of the Arms Act, 1959, and the rules made thereunder. Failure to do so may result in legal consequences, including but not limited to imprisonment and/or fines.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate and Legal Consultant)     30 December 2023

Well advised by experts, I concur.

Nothing more to add.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register