LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Madhusudhan Rao   29 August 2017

Amend name in service book

My father passed away recently. He was a Defense Civilian employee. Now, we've realised that my mother's name is mentioned as "R Ratna"  in the Service book but in all other documents including the legal heir certificate it is rightly mentioned as "R Ratnamma".  Is it necessary to amend the service book? Please let me the process as well.


 31 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 August 2017

When there is AADHAR, VOTER CARD showing the relationship, you may not face any problems.

RATNA is the correct name, and people call RATHNAMMA with respect.  AMMA is a common addition to several names in south.

You can orally contact your father's colleagues on your doubts and if possible visit your father's office.   At the most a sworn affidavit may be required.

1 Like


Very vague question, "Is it necessary to amend the service book?"

Could you contact the departmental authority to know whether they have any authority to amend the name of your father after his death, even if you apply for that in writing?

Your father is already dead. So, neither you have the authority to change his name on his behalf, nor the departmental authorities are authorised to change the name of the deceased in his service book. So, where is the need to know the process of change of name of your father that too in the service record after his death?


Perfect observation by Mr. Dhingra. I salute him.



Thank you, Mr. Jigyasu for your appreciation.



You are welcome sir.


Madhusudhan Rao   30 August 2017

I'm sorry if I was not sufficiently clear. I was talking about my mothers name not my deceased fathers name. I'm not necessarily asking for amending the service book but my only concern is that this should not become an obstacle while applying for family pension.

Originally posted by : Madhusudhan Rao
I'm sorry if I was not sufficiently clear. I was talking about my mothers name not my deceased fathers name. I'm not necessarily asking for amending the service book but my only concern is that this should not become an obstacle while applying for family pension.


Your question was about, "Amend name in service book," not about any expected obstacle in sanction of your mother's family pension on death of your father. So, even if that be, there is no change in my opinion. You cannot get the official record legally tampered with through any mode. Pension can be granted on the name of your mother, which your father got registered on the official records of his department. So, it is your mothe's problem, he she can get her name amended or account opened on the satated name, as duly recorded on official documents.




I am in full agreement with the views of Mr. Dhingra.


Originally posted by : Ramesh Singh
You need an Affidavit (can be drafted by professional) certify by Sub Divisional Magistrate, copy of which one is to submit along with other document (i.e. Death certificate, PPO, adhaar, voter Id, pan card, bank book, ration card) to concern department, and the same to the bank where your late father withdraw pension.
Note: when you submit to the bank, the bank instantly close the pension account and open & issue fresh pension account in your mother's name, you should be done it as earlier as possible to avoid blockage of pension for next successive month and before submission of life certificate i.e. November.


Dear Ramesh Singh,

From the nature of question, it becomes clear that it is a fresh case of sanction of family pension in the case of a deceased employee. So, can the proposed procedure work in that case? Any affidavit, if submitted to the departmental authorities would not be of any value, as against the statutory pension rules and procedure of the Government to be followed meticulously by the pension sanctioning authority.


P. Venu (Advocate)     30 August 2017

It appears that your father had expired while in service. you are mistaken that your mother's name is recorded in his service book; it is only that the family declaration furnished by your father is kept in the service book.

Please note that family pension and other benfits are sanctioned not on the basis of the family declaration, but on the basis application to be submitted by your mother. The discrepancy, if any, in the declaration could be taken care by furnishing the correct information while submitting the required application. This may not be difficult difficult task if your mother is having the adhaar card or any such ID.  

Madhusudhan Rao   31 August 2017

Thank you very much for your views.

We will also attach "One and the same person" affidavit along with Aadhaar and PAN during the application process.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     31 August 2017

While agreeing with views of Mr Dhingra I observe that so far the quesrist has not stated any problem faced

Madhusudhan Rao   31 August 2017

My mother hasn't submitted the application yet but today(31/08/2017), the UDC handling the pension process indicated that the discrepancy may lead to rejection.
He ruled out any modifications to the service book. He instead suggested modifying my mothers name in all other documents(Aadhaar, PAN, Legal Heir Certificate, Bank pass book etc.) to match with what is mentioned in service record.

Originally posted by : Ramesh Singh
Sir no doubt, we all aware of service discharge by most of Govt. Employees in India.
You can follow the procedure posted before, in case of any objection (hope not so), then enlighten him/her with " Office Memorandum No. 1122/2012-P&PW(E), Dt. 10th July 2013, for Payment of Arrears of Pension (Nomination) Rule, 1983;


Mr. Ramesh Singh,

Probably, you have the need to distinguish between THE cases of (1) sanction of pension to the employee, (2) arrear of undrawn pension accummulated by the pensioner or family pensioner, and (3) the sanction of family pension.

You may therefore like to review your above reply, as the present case is a case of original sanction of family pension to the widow of the deceased where neither pension has been sanctioned to the employee, apparently due to his death while in service. But you have quoted circular about "Payment of ARREARS of pension in cases in the absence of a valid nomination," where the pension/ family pension is yet to be sanctioned.

So, the question of arrear of pension does not arise in the present case and the circular would be of no avail to the querist in getting family pension sanctioned to her mother.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register