LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh Tandon   14 November 2020

WRIT PETITION

I am a Government servant. I am also legally Qualified being a law Graduate. I had recently filed a Writ Petition in J & K High court on a criminal matter since I reported a matter of Offences against an Employee in a senior position in complaint to higher Authorities. Higher Authorities did not take any action on my complaint as per the law. Subsequently, I filed writ Petition in Honourable High court of J& k seeking Writ of Mandamus and praying for Registration of Case and FIR against the erring officials who have not acted as per the law.
However, under Family Pressure, I had to withdraw the Petition Quoting personal reasons. Next Year I am going to retire.

After retirement, I intend reopening the case. I discussed about reopening the case with my Counsel. He said yes it can be done because it is a plain withdrawal of the Petition. Now largely the High court rules of every state are mire or less similar. As per J & K High Court Rules, of year 1999, (which are superseded now), the Petition are kept forever. It means the Complaints so given by me to Authorities and so annexed by my counsel with Petition will also be kept. So my query three fold:-

1. Generally what is the rule for retention of Submitted Petition with annexures.

2. Can these annexures containing my complaints with official documents submitted to court be referred at later stage since these complaints, the so called annexures to my Petition are now the court Property.

3. If I file RTI , I can at the maximum only seek certified copy of my Petition( Not the annexures i.e the complaints containg official.Documents submitted to Authoruties) [ As told to me by my counsel].

Learning

4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     20 November 2020

Having withdrawn the case, adopt a different course of action if alt considered necessary and prudent. Original documents are seldom filed in a WP; true or attested copies would have been sufficient.

Garima Dikshit   23 November 2020

Hello sir!

As regards your first query, when your petition is returned to you by court officer, your advocate puts his signature in the record stating that he/she has received the same.

The general rule is, that the annexures to a petition are a part of the petition and are to be returned along with the petition.

If the petition is not accompanied with its annexures while the return, you(your counsel) must not receive it and apply for getting back the petition along with the annexures immediately.

For your second question, it is presumed that once you've been returned the petition, you've also been returned the annexures thereto.

As for your third query, instead of filing an RTI, your first move should be to file an application/petition in Court stating your case and seeking the possession of the annexures. If the Court officer denies having the same. You could request the court to order an investigation so as to trace your annexures.

Additionally, it is advisable not to attest original documents with a petition unless specifically asked by the court in that regard.

Apart from that, when you annex original documents in a petition, you MUST mention that in your petition that you've attested original documents and ensure that the same is duly recorded in the Order Sheet. When you do this, the court officer asks you to mention in writing that you've received the original documents submitted in case of return of petition. This way, it is ensured that your documents are returned to you.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,

Garima

P. Venu (Advocate)     24 November 2020

Ms. Garima, please verify. It is only a plaint (i.e.suit) that will be returned, not a Writ Petition. Moreover, a Writ Petition does not require the originals; only the attested copies need be annexed.

Rajesh Tandon   24 November 2020

thx a lot to the experts who have answered my questions. regards.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More