LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     08 March 2010

Women Reservation Bill

Passing of Women's Reservation Bill providing 33 per cent reservation for women in Lok Sabha and state assemblies deferred today.

Mulayam Singh and Lallu prasad Yadav are against the Bill in its present form.

They want reservation also for the women who work in fields, work under the NREGA scheme, backward, dalits and the Muslims

Should there be reservation within reservation? 

Learning

21 Replies

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     08 March 2010

Absolutely not. Sex of a person cannot be a ground for reservation of seats which are to be decided by ballot. Any way the scenario we see in reality is completely different. The women who is elected seldom runs the show and it is the husband or male member who acts as a tout. The women is reduced to a rubber stamp. If she does not bow down to the wishes of the male members of her family .. she has to face 'n' number of problems. For an Indian women her family is everything. Rarely will she ignore her family and go out and do social service.

Adv. karinamishra (-)     08 March 2010

absolutely not . Reservation within reservation shoud not be allowed .

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     08 March 2010

Women also desrve special status at least 1/3 if not granted equally with man which has been denied to them since last various decades and this bill is definitely to eradicate that discrimination for which they deserve really.

I concur the current bill.

B.S MANJUNATH (ADVOCATES)     09 March 2010

The subject can be best appreciated by comparing at each one's house level. As long as women were not participative in household activities at all levels progress of a family was not at optimal level. When women  folk started partcipating in all matters especially money managment the progress of the house was on sound foundation. Similarly at national level if women participate at all levels in our country's affairs our progress will be very sound and stronger. Reservation is itself an unfortunate express of the fact that in our country women have to be complled to particiapte inour country's affairs by such a legislation. Reservation in reservation, well it is next level.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     09 March 2010

the issue is quote within a quota.

whether 'quota within a quota' is

(i) legal, - within the present law; or not.

(ii) logical - at per constitution;

or not.

members please enlight.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     09 March 2010

I do not wish to elaborately deal with capabilities/ weaknesses of women and restrict myself to the women Reservation Bill. As told by Arup sir, the Bill was not  legally correct. as it dealt with reservation within reservation. I rather reason it this way, the present Govt wanted to show to the public that they had proposed the Bill of Women Reservation and there by encouraged women empowerment,  which they knew it for sure that it would fail coz of drafting mistakes. And now they can claim that because the bill was not supported by votes, it is not accepted. All is fair in politics.

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     09 March 2010

Although my view must have been known to all person here, still I could not stop myself from expressing- for I feel strongly on the issue. I oppose all form of reservation on gender basis. I feel that as all so called pro-woman laws has been misused and abused against men, it will also be abused against men as parliament and legislatures will be more inclined to pass anti-men laws.........

Still I am very happy with the controversy on the bill- with this discussion I feel I have reached a bit closer to one of my goal- a political party for advocating Men's Right.

ms. sucharita,

i did not told that - the bill was not legally correct. perhaps you did not read my postings carefully.

The question is "wheather a quota, within a quota is allowed by the constitution, and whether it is logical also?

the bill supported by congress, bjp & leftist. opposed by rjd, sp. stand of bsp not much clear. normally the bill should pass easily. the main opposition coming from rjd & sp, they want a further quota for sc,st among the quota of 33% of women quota, on the ground that the sc st women are not much forwarded to compit the women of general category. naturally all most all the seats will be grabbed by the women of general cast. -  this is the main objection of rjd and sp. now the question is how far it is legal and logical?

no. mr rajesh kumar,

in fact all the parties including rjd and sp not opposing the reservation for women. there main objection is to keep the interest of sc, st women, from the grab of general cast women.

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     09 March 2010

That is the point- bills were supported and opposed on various grounds- but no body was there to say that bill is Anti-Men. We need a political party to say that.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     10 March 2010

As long as the reservations is limited to ceratin period of time like 10  to 15 years there is no objections.

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     10 March 2010

Actually it is impossible to remove reservation, once it is given. It creates its own vested interest group.

We have seen various groups saying that they will fight for reservation, they show their strength to claim reservation. I just think if they are so powerful, why do they need reservation in the first place. And the strength can be used to acquire education etc. so that they will not need education.

Kondapalli Praveen Kumar (REGIONAL MANAGER)     10 March 2010

ALREADY ABOUT 22% SEATS ARE RESERVED FOR SC / ST CATEGORIES IN BOTH RS / LS AND ALSO IN STATE LEGISLATURES.

NOW WITH THE PASSAGE OF WOMENS RESERVATION BILL THERE WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL QUOTA FOR SC / ST WITHIN THE 33% QUOTA.

IS THIS CORRECT ? AS THE QUOTA WILL EXCEED THE 22% ALREADY AVAILABLE.

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN 

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     10 March 2010

who will enlighten you sir, all the lamps are doomed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register