LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Boy_Hindu (Engineer)     15 October 2013

Wife troubling the in-laws

Dear respected lawyers/advisors, I am glad to have found this forum at my times of need.

I am married for 3 years, with a 2 year old girl child. My wife's behaviour from the time of marriage has been unacceptable and very sadistic. She gets into mood swings very frequently, and has never given us an opportunity for a happy family life. For the first year we lived in my father's house. She started quarrelling often and she hated everybody in my family. She instilled havoc into the peaceful living of my family. Over a period of time she demanded a separate residence. I therefore rented a separate residence 30 km from our house. It became very evident that she is unable to take up the daily activities of cooking and maintaining the house and the child. She has never gone to work but is a BE graduate. She stayed with me along with the child only for two months in my rented house and then left back to her parents house complaining of loneliness when I am away at work!

It has been six months since she along with the child left me to stay alone. Her father who had observed the anger problems with her took her to a psychotherapist (I had no role to play in this) and she is said to be suffering from Bipolar disease / extreme anger / Obsessive compulsion problems. The doctor put her on psychiatric medications and she has been visiting the doctor ever since she left me. Even though the doctor is instructing her to join me in my house, she is refusing to do so. She is not ready for a divorce. Even though I can wait for some more time for the sake of my loved child, there are newer problems that have arisen. She is demanding that she has the right to stay in my father's house (since she is the daughter-in-law) and she wants to bring up the child in my father's house. Whenever we try to convince her, she abuses my father and there are many incidents where she enters into my father's house with the child and she spends three to four days before returning to her parents. The situation in my father's place has become very sadistic, since she quarrels with my parents and abuses them. She also pathetically treats the child in order to hurt our feelings. There is no peace and calm in my father's place whenever my wife stays there.

I request your guidance in the following questions:

About my father's property: My grandfather had purchased a house (acquired). After his death, my father along with his two elderly sisters were the legal heirs. My father got release deeds from his sisters after paying them legally. My father recently got the old house demolished and built a new house in the same place. The property is in his name.

1) My wife demands that she has a right in my father's house. She says she can enter the house anytime and stay there for however long she wants. If at all she has a right to the property, can she demand residence/shelter in that house (even when the husband has rented a separate house)?

2) My wife claims that since the child has rights in my father's property, she along with the child will stay in my father's house and bring up the child. Is this claim legal? Can she reside there if the child has rights?

3) Can I or my father bring a Stay order from court to not allow her into my father's house? If so, on what grounds should we bring a Stay?

4) If I go for a contested divorce, after serving the notice to her, can she still enter into my father's house and reside there until the Judgement is passed?

I thank everyone for their helpful advice/suggestions.

Learning

6 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Boy_Hindu

Dear respected lawyers/advisors, I am glad to have found this forum at my times of need.

I am 30 years old, married for 3 years, with a 2 year old girl child. My wife's behaviour from the time of marriage has been unacceptable and very sadistic. She gets into mood swings very frequently, and has never given us an opportunity for a happy family life. For the first year we lived in my father's house. She started quarrelling often and she hated everybody in my family. She instilled havoc into the peaceful living of my family. Over a period of time she demanded a separate residence. I therefore rented a separate residence 30 km from our house. It became very evident that she is unable to take up the daily activities of cooking and maintaining the house and the child. She has never gone to work but is a BE graduate. She stayed with me along with the child only for two months in my rented house and then left back to her parents house complaining of loneliness when I am away at work!

It has been six months since she along with the child left me to stay alone. Her father who had observed the anger problems with her took her to a psychotherapist (I had no role to play in this) and she is said to be suffering from Bipolar disease / extreme anger / Obsessive compulsion problems. The doctor put her on psychiatric medications and she has been visiting the doctor ever since she left me. Even though the doctor is instructing her to join me in my house, she is refusing to do so. She is not ready for a divorce. Even though I can wait for some more time for the sake of my loved child, there are newer problems that have arisen. She is demanding that she has the right to stay in my father's house (since she is the daughter-in-law) and she wants to bring up the child in my father's house. Whenever we try to convince her, she abuses my father and there are many incidents where she enters into my father's house with the child and she spends three to four days before returning to her parents. The situation in my father's place has become very sadistic, since she quarrels with my parents and abuses them. She also pathetically treats the child in order to hurt our feelings. There is no peace and calm in my father's place whenever my wife stays there.

I request your guidance in the following questions:

About my father's property: My grandfather had purchased a house (acquired). After his death, my father along with his two elderly sisters were the legal heirs. My father got  release deeds from his sisters after paying them legally. My father recently got the old house demolished and built a new house in the same place. The property is in his name.

1) My wife demands that she has a right in my father's house.

No.  She has no right in your dad's property.

She says she can enter the house anytime and stay there for however long she wants. If at all she has a right to the property, can she demand residence/shelter in that house (even when the husband has rented a separate house)?

See, under Domestic violence act, she can ask for residential orders to stay at your dad's house provided.

1.  You last both stayed there in your dads place.

2.  Your dad's place if is a ancestral property.

If not the above both, then she cannot enter such premises.  Even if she does, your dad can file civil injunction against her and get her evacuated from such premises.

2) My wife claims that since the child has rights in my father's property, she along with the child will stay in my father's house and bring up the child. Is this claim legal?  Can she reside there if the child has rights?

No.  Wife has right only to stay where the husband is staying, rented or own place.  She cannot thrust herself into someone else's place where you are not staying.  I hope you can read between the lines.

3) Can I or my father bring a Stay order from court to not allow her into my father's house? If so, on what grounds should we bring a Stay?

You first leave that place ie your fathers place and move out to some PG accomodation/rented accomodation.  Then too  if your wife is troubling your dad, your dad can approach the court for civil injunction where her husband is not living with his parents and still the wife instead of joining the husband whereever he is, wants to trouble old age parents by threatening to barge in to such premises.

4) If I go for a contested divorce, after serving the notice to her, can she still enter into my father's house and reside there until the Judgement is passed?

I thank everyone for their helpful advice/suggestions.

Even if you send her divorce notice through court, still she can appraoch a magistrate court with DV case and try to barge in to your dads house, so better follow the advice I have given above.

Manpreet (Manager)     15 October 2013

@Querist

Its better

As already advised by experts you need to  a rented accomodation.Ask your mother to file domestic voilence against your wife,injunction petition so that she cannot enter the house.

What you say helping hand ?

Manpreet (Manager)     15 October 2013

@Querist

Its better

As already advised by experts you need to  a rented accomodation.Ask your mother to file domestic voilence against your wife,injunction petition so that she cannot enter the house.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Manpreet

@Querist

Its better

Domestic violence case if filed would look ugly, for that both the son and the DIL should have been staying with the parent-in-laws then the mother and the father can jointly file a DV case stating so and so against not just DIL but also the son, which will be a humiliating process both for parents and the son. Its better for son to move out ie here the querist to move out, even if the DIL files a DV case for gaining entery to the in-laws house, she cannot as the wife cannot stay with inlaws according to law and can only stay with inlaws provided if her husband is still living with his parents. Now that I've advised querist to move out of dad's house he should do it and then later on parents should file civil injunction to abstain DIL from gaining unlawful entery.

Boy_Hindu (Engineer)     16 October 2013

@Manpreet, @Helping Hand,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your timely replies. As I have already stated in my main descripttion, I have ALREADY taken a rented accomodation, and my wife stayed with me in the rented accomodation for 2 months, and then she along with the child moved out of there. Now she stays for some time in her parents house and some times in my parents house. I am continuing in my rented house away from my parents.

Boy_Hindu (Engineer)     16 October 2013

The main question now is - IF she and the child have property rights in my father's house, can she demand shelter / right of residence in that property?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register