Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Awni Ranjan (Online Corporate Trainer )     07 January 2022

Whether name change is compulsory in someone from other religion becomes a hindu

If a non hindu ( from any other religion ) becomes hindu then is it COMPULSORY  to change name also 

Learning

6 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     08 January 2022

Hello,

As per my opinion, it is not compulsory but you can adopt name which suggests that you are Hindu. 

1 Like

Anaita Vas   08 January 2022

It is absolutely urgent to change names after one converts to another religion. I will sum up the reasons behind this:-

i) Some names might be unacceptable in some Religion:

Some religions make it mandatory to change names, while some religions don’t. For example, a Hindu lady named Rashmi, became Christian, but she didn’t need to change her name. She still retains her old name. On other hand, I have never seen someone who converted to Islam retain his early name. Maybe some retain but mostly change their names.

Here is a quotation:-

"A person who has converted to Islam does not need to change their name unless their name embodies the worship of someone or something other than God."

Thus if the original name does not comprise or imply something forbidden in Islam., then he or she is permitted to retain it.

Suppose there is a person called Shivram Chaturvedi. Definitely, he would need to change his name if he converts to Islam. His previous name would be considered un-Islamic.

ii) Religion would be blamed unnecessarily for the deeds of a person from another religion.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

Awni Ranjan (Online Corporate Trainer )     08 January 2022

Thanks Mr Pawar for understanding my query and definite answer

Anaita Vas   08 January 2022

As per the Supreme Court, it is not essential to change name after conversion. This was stated in the case of Mohammad Sadique vs Darbara Singh Guru on 29 April, 2016.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

1 Like

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     10 January 2022

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/14263058/

you can refer para 23 wherein Apex court held that it is not necessary to change the name after conversion

1 Like

Awni Ranjan (Online Corporate Trainer )     02 February 2022

Thanks to all the experts 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register