LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Reena (freelancer)     11 October 2010

urgent help needed

I have a small yet grave problem at my home. I need legal help. My father is a retired person. Our family consists of me, my sister and my mom. We both are students. My father is regularly creating problem in the family  and is refusing to support us in any way, may that be fooding , shelter or studies. He even refuses to let us keep contact with any of our relatives, friends or neighbours. He doesnot allow us to consult a doctor for my ailing mother. Abusive languages and physical assults are regular affairs. He treatens to throw us out of the house as it belongs to him and he does not consider us to be part of his family.He is of the opinion that after retirement he is not bound to feed his family. Can you please tell me what measures can be taken by us to stop this violence or to keep the peace.

Learning

5 Replies

Kirti Kar Tripathi (lawyer)     12 October 2010

you can file a petition for maintenance. Retirement of your father is no ground to deny  maintenance to your mother till she alive  and you and your sister till you both get married.

1 Like

(Guest)

First you have to mention why your father not to support us in any way, may that be food, shelter or studies?

Its because of income? as you mention your father retired. What is his position? What course(study) are you doing ? Are you minor ?The reason is  be expenses of study is too high and also running the daily expenseslike food electricity bill gas bills etc, .If you can start tuition classes or something else along with studies in order to help your family.

Yes, its true that even retirement father cannot escape from his liability i.e., maintenance.

First, advice him by your eldest member in your relatives ,if thereafter deny file 125 maintenance under criminal procedure code, 1973

ORDER FOR MAINTENANCE OF WIVES, CHILDREN AND PARENTS

125.    Order for maintenance of wives, children and parents. -

(1)       If any person leaving sufficient means neglects or refuses to maintain-

(a)       His wife, unable to maintain herself, or

(b)       His legitimate or illegitimate minor child, whether married or not, unable to maintain itself, or

(c)       His legitimate or illegitimate child (not being a married daughter) who has attained majority, where such child is, by reason of any physical or mental abnormality or injury unable to maintain itself, or

(d)       His father or mother, unable to maintain himself or herself,

A Magistrate of' the first class may, upon proof of such neglect or refusal, order such person to make a monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife or such child, father or mother, at such monthly rate not exceeding five hundred rupees in the whole, as such magistrate thinks fit, and to pay the same to such person as the Magistrate may from time to time direct:

Provided that the Magistrate may order the father of a minor female child referred to in clause (b) to make such allowance, until she attains her majority, if the Magistrate is satisfied that the husband of such minor female child, if married, is not possessed of' sufficient means.

Explanation: - For the purposes of this Chapter: -

(a)       Minor means a person who, under the provisions of the Indian Majority Act, 1975 (9 of 1875) is deemed not to have attained his majority;

(2)       Such allowance shall be payable front the date of the order, or, if so ordered, from the due of the application for maintenance.

(3)       Person so ordered fails without sufficient cause to company with the order, any such Magistrate may, for every breach of the order, issue a warrant for levying the amount due in the manner provided for whole, or any part of each month’s allowance remaining unpaid after the execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which may extend to one month or until payment if sooner made;

Provided that no warrant shall be issued for the recovery of any amount due under this section unless application be made to the court to levy such amount within a period of one year from the dare on which it became due:

Provided further that if such person offers to maintain his wife on condition of her living with him, and she refuses to live with him, such Magistrate may consider any grounds of refusal stated by her, and may make an order under this section notwithstanding such offer, if he is satisfied that there is just ground for so doing.

1 Like

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     12 October 2010

Reena ji (freelancer)

hello,

in my view u should collect yr family mambers on dis issue,

and also file an application to distreict legal services autherity (DLSA)

for sattle yr problem.

in every district court dlsa office will there.

out of the court settlement will be batter.

aage aap ki margi...........

(Guest)

Repeat First, advice him by your eldest member in your relatives ,if thereafter deny file 125 maintenance under criminal procedure code, 1973

First you have to support him and  try to know   why your father  is behaving like that ?

Conciliate your problem with your famliy members and your relatives Don’t

hurry to file case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register