Urgent : expert advise on music

Music composer



Am a music composer by profession.


Few months ago, i was approached by an Artist via emai who wanted to commission a track to me for his album. (Ghost Production) to which i agreed and got the advance for the same.


The Artist has only given his vocals. The rest of production (arranging/rhythm/melodies etc) is done by me.


The track is about to get completed but i wish to keep this core track (without his vocal) for myself and record someone else over it for my album. I have not signed any agreement/contract with him. Most of the communication has been verbal and via email.


Am keen on returning his advance back but he needs the track since its been 3 months now. He claims to have put in money for the video and other PR for this track.

Can there be a legal issue over this if i refuse to give the track?


Thanks in advance.



IP Lawyer & Trademark Attorney

There is no legal obligations as my understanding but you need to settle it  amicably and on the next instance take advice from legal expert on Copyright contracts.


Hai, I am a specilist in Music rights, from Tamil nadu.

YOU CAN, if your reason to quit / break the contract is legally valid, then you can. you didnt disclose all the facts here. So I can commit this much only. Go to a lawyer. Best wishes




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
New Course - IBC!     |    x