LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anand (Asst manager)     06 September 2010

Tenant evict from a commercial property

This is Narayan NRI writing from Singapore, past 15 years am working in abroad, and owned a house in my name in Tamil Nadu, Nellai Dist, Tenkasi in India.

My father (old man 74+ recently had 2nd time cardio mitral valve replacement surgery in Trivandrum KIMS), he rented 1 room and a hall in the backyard (about 1000 sqft) of the house for Rs 3000 since Nov 2003 with every 11 months tenancy period rental agreement valid till Aug 2009.

Similarly front portion about 3000 sqft rented to a minimart for Rs 7500. Both are commercially and commercial property tax paid by myself.

Both tenant are running business and earning quite well. Both tenants recent 11 month agreement with my father was expired in Sep 2009 -a year ago, and till now they are not vacating.

Early this year My father visited the Shops and realised that both tenants are modified and removed quite number of windows, few electrical appliances and even sub-rented a portion of unit. My father was bit upset and questioned them, part of argument one of the tenant assaulted my father. Right after the incident I made a police compliant and local DSP ordered the tenants to submit a written statement to vacate in 3 months (Valid up to 31st Jan 2010) and also my father not to enter to House till they are vacate the shops.

Within few days later, both tenants are started to send legal notice and lodged a case with rent control board to seek court permission to credit the rent in court. Tenants got local police and criminals support, in other end they also demanding Rs. 10 lacs to reach an out-off court settlement.

After the above incident, end of last year activated a civil lawyer in my home town, Lawyer suggested no official respond required from my father and he does not have any authority to rent my house and he has requested a power of attorney to my relative/ to himself to lodge a legal case. Lawyer also mentioned that legal case may take up to 2-3 years and it’s not easy to get court order/stay to close the shops immediately.

In view of my father age and health condition, registered the power to my relative to face the legal suit, so for court hearing was adjourned many times and not near to any verdict. Lawyer suggested to arrange a local comission via court to assess the property modification damages and also the sub rent details, am not too sure how long this process will take

Right now am planning to migrate and badly need the rented place to perform major renovation/rebuild the old shop houses

Is there any possibility/Option I can quickly activate to evict tenants/ immediate court stay to close the shops?,  If required am even ready to demolish a portion of old house to evict the tenants and to start the construction,

Sincerely.

Narayan

Learning

2 Replies

Bobby Mani T (Lawyer)     19 September 2010

There is no speedy remedy than to inititate eviciton proceedings against the teants under the rent control Act. You can file a petition to fix fair rent (if the rent is low) you have to proove any of the grounds mentioned in the rent control act to get the building vacated under rent control act.  You need not panic, you have a remedy but you have to go in the proper forum not before the police.

ABHIJEET PARIKH (Bcom LLB MBA)     19 September 2010

@ Anand police will only milk out due to the disputes it is the civil matter and they cant get involved until specific orders issued by magistrate apart from filing eviction suit all u can do is to is to file for specific injunction-stay order which will restrict them and force them close their shops.

Dont press panic button as suggested by bobby mani sir for u at this stage possession of both the shops is important but u need to go through a process u can also file a suit under rent control act try filing multiple suits against them in different court  so as to force them and make them feel the heat

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register