Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amitava Basu (Self Employed)     22 August 2014

Supreme court law on common property

Respectable Members and lawyers of India

I understand there has been a ruling by the Supreme Court of India over the use of Common Property. The Supreme Court of India had ruled that Common Property in any joint ownership is considered an undivided property where every owner has equal rights and no one owner can use the common areas for his exclusive use.

I have an ancestral home where my other owners sold their shares to a gentleman who forcibly parks his cars in the common passage. The passage is the only way for ingress and egress from the property. After parking his cars there is hardly any space left to walk freely in the passage. According the approved Kolkata Municipal plan, there is no provision for car parking in our house.

In our house plan approved by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation it is shown as the only passage for ingress and egress from our house. The passage is barely 8 feet wide. The other passage is at the back of the house which is 4 feet wide and is used as service passage used by sweepers.

I was surfing the internet and find that the followings but no judgment reference is present for us laymen to understand and find it in the books of law. Your attention is kindly drawn to the followings.

Who is 'co-owner' has succinctly been stated in Mitra's Co-ownership & Partition, seventh edition, which is to the following term:-

"All co-owners have equal rights and co-ordinate interest in the property."

The aforementioned decision of the Apex Court has also been followed by the Supreme Court in Kochkunja Nair v. Koshy Alexander and Ors., wherein they law has been laid down in the following terms :-

"Ownership imports three essential rights, namely right to possession, right to enjoy and right to dispose of if an owner is wrongly deprived of possession of his property, they has a right to be put in possession thereof. All the three essentials are satisfied in the case of co-owner of a land. All co-owners have equal rights and co-ordinate interest in the property, though their shares may be either fixed or indeterminate. Every co-owner has a right to enjoyment and possession equal to that of the other co-owner or co-owners. Each co-owner has, in theory, interest in every infinitesimal portion of the subject matter and each has the right, irrespective of the quantity of his interest, to be in possession of every part and parcel of the property, jointly with others (vide, Mitra's Co-ownership and Partition, 7th edition)."

A three-Judge Bench of this Court has held in Sri Ram Pasricha v. Jagannath , that a co-owner owns every part of the composite property along with others. the following statement of law has been made by their Lordships:

"Jurisprudentially it is not correct to say that a co-owner of a property is not its owner. He owns every part of the composite property along with others and it cannot be said that he is only a part owner of a fractional owner of the property. The position will change only when partition takes."

I would remain thankful to any lawyer who would be kind enough to provide any reference to the Judgment and where to find it.

For this act of kindness I would remain thankful.

Respectfully

Amitava Basu

Learning

5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     26 August 2014

for judgements you can browse indiankanoon.org or consult a local senior civil lawyer to explain the circumstances and further advise.

malipeddi jaggarao (retired banker)     26 August 2014

Agreed with the Expert Shri Kalaiselvan.  On your own you browse many web sites for judgements.  Yes, recently there is a judgement which states that parking space can not be sold.  Make an attempt.  Otherwise hand-over the matter to an advocate who can assist you to come out of the problem.

Amitava Basu (Self Employed)     26 August 2014

Agreed Sirs All I wanted is to confirm if there was any judgment over the common property where joint ownership is involved and if the common passage can be blocked by one owner forcibly. I referred to your professional panel for confirmation if common passage in a joint property can be used for car parking. The common passage in question is only 8' wide and is the only walking passage for ingress and egress from the house. It also states as common passage in the Corporation approved plan. There was a judgment by Justice Satya Brata Bagchi of Kolkata High Court where his lordship had referred to the quotes of Supreme Court which I had captioned earlier. I just wanted a case reference, if there was any by the Supreme Court of India. Best regards

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     27 August 2014

Car parking on the passage of a joint property is a temporary encroachment it cannot be equated with the term BLOCKED.  such type of  temporary encroachment  can be remedied by WRIT OF MANDAMUS under Article 226 of the Constitution of India provided if all the owners of the property agree to join in the petition as parties. You might have erroneously mentioned the name of Justice Satya Brata Sinha as Justice SATYA BRATA BAGCHI.

Amitava Basu (Self Employed)     27 August 2014

Sir My sincere apologies for the mistakes. Thanks for correcting me. I am Canadian citizen. Can I seek remedy under Article 226 of the Constitution of India? We are only two owners in that property. Myself and the other gentleman. If I object as the co-owner the police said the gentleman can not block common passage by PARKING CARS and make ingress and egress impossible. Also cars according to Supreme Court needs to be PARKED IN GARAGE. Can a common space be termed as Parking Area or A Garage which is meant to be a walkway be also treated as motorable way? It is not permitted anywhere in North America. I also understand that under the West Bengal Fire Act passage way leading to road must be kept clear at all times on the event of FIRE. Our common passage is the only means of exit. On the event of fire if the only means of escape is blocked, it may result in loss of lives. After this requirement ia parking cars possible on Common Passage?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register