LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramakanth Siripalli   24 December 2019

RTI right to information

I have asked details of my bank joint account , through RTI, it has been 24 days completed , I haven't got any reply , what should I do now, plz suggest me.


 8 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 December 2019

You are a consumer and also citizen and as such you are having rights not only for information but also a remedy through CP Act.

Read Sec.19 of RTI Act in your mother tongue and go for first appeal against CPIO in case you fail to get a response from CPIO within 35 days of posting the application.

First Appeal dt..............under RTI Act

Before: First Appellate  Authority,....................Bank,...................

Against : CPIO,...............Bank.......................


Grounds for appeal: CPIO has neither provided information nor denied information stating such exemption with justification to RTI Application dt..............filed by this appellant.  As CPIO has not responded within 30 days, this appeal treating the information as "deemed denial" under RTI Act.

PRAYER: Please direct CPIO to provide information as expeditiously as possible free of cost.




2.You can issue a Regd notice to Bank under CP Act pointing out the deficiency of service for further remedy.  This is the first step


1 Like

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     25 December 2019

since you are joint bank account holder, you will have bank statement/pass book reflicting your account information. Other than this information you have to obtain court permission or through R.T.I. application.

TGK REDDI   25 December 2019

Asked throgh RTI?    Wait for six more days and file First Appeal as explained beautifully by Shri GLN Prasad.

Generally, no necessity of RTI.     A simple Application will do.    They'll give statement from whatever date you mention and charge/page will be debited to your account.

Ramakanth Siripalli   25 December 2019

actually it is joint locker account sir, it has been closed by one of the account holder without notice to the other account holder and taken away all the valuables from the locker. among both the hirers, one of the hirer is employee in the same bank.

Ramakanth Siripalli   25 December 2019

so they are managing the issue, no response from the bank end. so I asked through RTI even they are not giving any reply.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 December 2019

Rmakanth garu,

No RTI is required for getting this information.

Visit the bank and ask for a certified copy of an opening form, and certified copies of operations allowed during one year and CCTV footage of suspected operation date, timing.

If the account is operated with the JOINT clause, allowing it individually is a violation.

But be practical as to how the one key was handled and delivered to that employee.  

There may be a violation of allowing one instead of jointly, but how banker can be responsible for the theft.

First, get all the certified copies and then file a criminal complaint at the police station making the bank also as a party.

Personally I feel that there is no role of RTI, as you are a consumer and is having a fundamental right to get such documents as you are paying rent as consideration.

RTI is just a road and not a destination.  Go as per CP Act where you can get information and final remedy also.  In your case, you can only proceed against the bank for deficiency of the bank for permitting one instead of joint operation depending on facts.

Always focus on remedy, and do not waste time on trivial and useless endeavours.

Then facts emerge during an investigation.

2 Like

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 December 2019

Your query is baseless without any legal dispute involved.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     26 December 2019

Yes, as suggested by experts of this forum, in a joint account there is no necessity to obtain the information through RTI act, .

Since you are one of the account holder you can get the statement on your own by giving an application to the bank in this regard.

As you said it is bank locker account, for this also the bank may not allow one of the holder to operate the account independently without the consent or authorisation of the other account holder.

If the bank has done so, you may issue a legal notice to the bank and demand explanation for this lapse and illegal act.

Generally for a reply through RTI act, you may have to wait for 30 days.


2 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register