Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mira (Manager)     15 June 2011

Validity of US marriage certificate - 2 non-US citizens

Hello,

I am Indian, planning to marry my German fiance in the US. Neither of us are residents there, but thought of this option since this seems to be less time consuming and needs less documentation.

The question is: would India accept such a certificate?

Thank You,

Mira

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     15 June 2011

@ Author,

1. Unless the complete case file / record of the Registration / issued Certificate which was done in
USA with a german fiancee is checked no concrete opinion be given if the process of marriage and the so called registration / certificate is itself valid or not in India!

The Marriage Certificate issued by the concerned Authority in
USA is just a proof of marriage and if that is checked one can state about the validity of the marriage process only !

3. As such a Civil Marriage between two person solemnized anywhere in the world according to any country's matrimonial law unless that forbid marriage between its citizen and any foreigner or it provides for only certain class of people in that country, it is valid marriage duly recognised anywhere in the world.

4. Any marriage taking place in a foreign country according to the matrimonial laws of that country will not give Jurisdiction to Indian court to adjudicate on any dispute between the parties unless that foreign marriage is either Registered under the Indian Foreign Marriage Act or Certified under this Act or is Registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 here in Indian soils.

1 Like

(Guest)

Good answer tajobs, I admire the to-the-point clarity of your replies

mira (Manager)     18 July 2011

Thanks, Tajobsindia. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register